Historical 11 meter ham band

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4MPT, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. W4MPT

W4MPT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have always been curious about the old 11 meter ham band. I can't find very much historical information about it. What was it like? What was the actual frequency allocation? Was it well used, or sparsely populated? Were there any memorable events? How much resistance was there to the reallocation away from us?

These questions obviously do not relate to CB in anyway...no interest there at all!

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That was before my time, but only by several years. I used to "listen" to the 11m ham band as an SWL and a kid.

It was very much like 10m, but of course back then voice work was all AM and not SSB, which is one reason I could receive it as a kid using a WW2-surplus receiver.

I don't think hams protested all that much, as the 11m and 10m bands were so similar in propagation and the ham population was much smaller back then; however if you're really interested, the QST archives from that era are all on line and easy to access on the ARRL website.

3. KD6VM

KD6VM Ham Member QRZ Page

Like WIK, I was too young to remember. However, from my limited understanding, 11 meters was a frequency band that was used as an "RF garbage dump" for devices that radiated hash and other noise. Some medical equipment fell into that catagory. Hams had secondary useage of the band and maybe other services used it too.

Of course, when the FCC decided to implement the Citizens Radio Service, they put it on 11 meters and took those frequencies from amateurs at the same time.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The New CB is 14.313.

11 meters was a great band. My Collins covers it + and - a few KC.

I do not go there.

I have no problem with people that use 11 meters.

2450 mhz was a frequency that was given up just like 11 meters.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  5. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I used 11 meters, practically invented it.

10 was so wide that including 11 was stretching the bandwidth of beams.

As always the popularity depended on your location and ham density. Hard to generalize.

I don't think that hams objected so much about the loss of the band as they objected to the ease (no code) of obtaining
    the license that was "required" back then. I had one of the first CB licenses in my town.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

6. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

There were a number of problems with the amateur 11-meter band. First of all, it was not harmonically related to the other HF bands and, as such, crystals and VFOs that covered the 160-meter, 80/75-meter, 40-meter, 20-meter, 15-meter, and 10-meter bands could not be used on the 11-meter.

Next, amateur radio operation wasn't even secondary but was terciary to other services including industrial ("plasma" uses) and medical (diathermy) which put out considerable, broad band, interference. In urban and suburban areas the 11-meter band was almost useless, because of this wideband interference, a majority of the time.

Then, and this is of great importance, the 11-meter band was actually allocated to land-mobile operation by the ITU. As such, when the Class "D" Citizen's Radio Service was proposed, in 1957, that service actually was in compliance with the ITU allocations. That is, "CB" qualifies as a land-mobile service whereas amateur radio does not qualify.

When the Novice Class license was first in place, the HF operations were CW only on the 80-meter band and CW only on the 11-meter band. However, since the 11-meter band was basically a wasteland, the FCC soon changed the Novice HF segments to portions of the 80-meter, 40-meter, and 15-meter bands.

There actually was very little amateur radio usage of the 11-meter band. When the FCC first proposed the Class "D" service, the ARRL protested greatly and even tried to have a series of contests on the 11-meter band to increase the usage of this band. However, those efforts failed miserably!

Glen, K9STH

7. AC6AT

AC6AT Ham Member QRZ Page

On the assumption that you're not kidding about the "ease/no-code" objection: what exactly was the hams' complaint with this, given that the new service was explicitly meant to be a more flexible LMR service for small businesses and individuals, with hobby- or experimental-type use discouraged or even forbidden (power/distance/time limits, mandatory equipment type acceptance, AM mode only, etc.)?

8. AC6AT

AC6AT Ham Member QRZ Page

P.S. The new "RF garbage dump" seems to run roughly from 500 kHz to 25 MHz.

9. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Really? I heard that Al Gore invented it.

10. N0WYO

N0WYO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was interested in CB, there was a medical clinic that ran one of those machines. And when it ran, you might as well turn off the radio.
    After hearing that, and talking to local hams at that time about the 11 meter band, I can tell you with certainty that no one in my home town was choked up about losing 11 meters to the CB'ers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.