Hints and Hacks (QST)

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KK5R, Apr 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Right. Think about it. However, the "us" I mean includes the traditional ham.

Assuming that you are "in touch" is a stretch but I accept that's YOUR opinion.

Would you like to continue with the idea that the change to Hacks is just fine regardless of what old-time hams may think? If so, then it may be why a whale of a lot of hams are not members of the ARRL and get QST.

I now wonder what percentage of active hams are members of the ARRL...

2. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

When I say "nerd," I do not restrict this to those who are computer related. There are nerds of all stripes.

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

It's an irrelevant organization trying to sound relevant again, without actually becoming relevant again.

The explanation is actually quite simple. :cool:

KK5R likes this.
  4. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's where they left the rails. But I guess they don't care about OTs; also I guess this explains the dropping of the "Of By and For the Radio Amateur" motto on the cover of each issue, which I was very sad to see. But it allows them to run articles on anything and everything, especially in the grab bag "Eclectic Technology" column. They could put an arduino garage door opener article there and it would now be okay. Doug DeMaw, George Grammer, Lew McCoy et al., are spinning in their graves.

"Maker": Millennial term for homebrewing, something hams have done for 100 years, but gen. Z has to believe they came up with the concept or they won't be interested.

WN1MB, K1ZJH, K5TCJ and 1 other person like this.
  5. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Correction: What was dropped from the cover was "Devoted Entirely To Amateur Radio." I apologize for the error.

KK5R likes this.
  6. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

It's pretty much six of one and half dozen of another. Thanks for the correction.

7. K1ZJH

K1ZJH Ham Member QRZ Page

Then they should change the magazine's name as well! What does QST mean to a millennial? A CW prosign, in 2018? For a magazine name?? How quaint!

Mag should be devoted to the almighty advertising dollar, since that's all they give a damn about.

KK5R likes this.
  8. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The same thing crossed my mind also. A Q signal for a magazine name? I was surprised they didn't notice and change the name to Digital Monthly or Internet of Things. Ditto for CQ. Throw us all under the bus.

KK5R likes this.
  9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The new name could be 10-4 magazine. :rolleyes: