ad: Radclub22-1

Hints and Hacks (QST)

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KK5R, Apr 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

SOC4? SOC7? or the dreaded SOC1? I go back that far. An old interview question...."What's a SOC4?". The correct answer, in my view anyway, was "To keep your feet warm". Gotta keep it light.

I see your point.

2. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

English is a Living Language. This means that new words are added every day. It also means that old words take on new meaning but not all those meanings are good and productive and some are merely humorous twists with the well-known American sense of humor attached to it. But when a word acquires a new meaning that when applied to other terms but with a negative twist to it, then that word suddenly becomes more than a negative because now it's compounded.

Many here want to rationalize and hint that this attracts new people, some who are new to ham radio and some who may not know what "kink" represents. These are newbies and if they want to assimilate into ham radio, they need to learn what the old traditional terms meant and should still mean. Sure, I know ham radio is quickly turning into keyboards and "smart" push buttons and knobs are seen as squirrelly little critters that take secondary position to a cursor. And why is it necessary to change ham radio so those diddle stick heroes can cope with technology that won wars (and I don't mean gamers' wars, either)???

At one time "gay"was related to "happy" but now it has changed so if I call someone a gay person or refer to someone as a "gay blade," there may be some resentment. See where this is going? Not all language change is for the good and generally acceptable by society or a sub-set of society.

I've been in computer technology since the mid-80's and taught Microsoft office to my organization when it went paperless. I was not born in the dark. But "hack" relates to computers, not to ham radio. "Kink," on the other hand, as relates to "Hints and Kinks" relates to Ham Radio and was at one time a decades old column in QST magazine, the journal of the ARRL. For me, the ARRL (and QST) are gooing the way of Western Union, being replaced by new technology like JT-8, etc. These new technologies can ADD to ham radio like RTTY and Slow Scan because the hobby is big enough to encompass a lot of electronic communications technologies. However, Hack relates to Computers, not directly to ham radio except as a tool.

Here's an alternative to satisfy those who fear that ham radio will fade away unless they attract a rash of computer nerds into the hobby:

Why not add a section to QST that is dedicated to Computers much like 73 Magazine did? Keep in mind, though, that it became such a big thing that this 73 Mag venture evolved to the point where Byte Magazine was started up. Where are these magazines today? To save time, then, why doesn't the ARRL just hire some computer phreaks and set up a new magazine and call it "Hacker"??? Is this where it's headed?

Again, why change something if it's not an enhancement, not needed, called for or wanted? If it's indeed because they want to attract some computer nerds, let them first prove they want to be hams and willing to learn what that takes. If they want to waltz in and change ham radio to some IT-derivative, than why not first teach them the lore of CW and what that form of quasi digital communication system was all about? Instead, they seem to want the advertisers' bucks and plan to get it by increasing the numbers in the ham radio community with those who don't see ham radio as an end unto itself.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  3. K5TCJ

K5TCJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Which reinforces the notion that this name change, was make solely for the sake of change.

KA0HCP and KK5R like this.
  4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes.

No. And this is exactly WHY QST made the change. Did you read the editor's discussion on why they chose this? QST, and the ARRL are in the business of attracting newbies. You don't do that by dictating terms. Honoring traditions is one thing, expecting that newcomers do it the way you want is another. The hobby is what we collectively make it, not the other way around.

You keep insisting that "Hack" is only a computer term. And that "computer nerds" is the audience being addressed here. Neither are correct.

The Maker movement is where it's at today - not computers. Today it's about integrating microcontrollers into your Halloween costume, building CNC machines, 3D printers IoT, drones, etc. What used to be a computer club in the 80's is now a "maker space". Kids don't join a computer club at school, they get involved with STEM programs. Our local libraries have computers for general use, yes, but they also have laser cutters/engravers, desktop CNC machines, 3D scanners, 3D printers, sewing machines, video studios, etc. Three of my library district locations have Epilog laser engravers/cutters for patrons to use. I know, cuz I use them, and so do lots of kids making stuff. Computers are just the tools to be able to run a laser cutter, CNC, 3D printer - the focus isn't on the computer nearly as much as it was 25 years ago. Making stuff is where it's at.

Do you know what a "phreak" is? Telephone/communications hackers were called "phreaks", not computer hackers. And that was 30 years ago!

And BTW, the term "Nerd" is cool now. My step-daughter is in high school, and is a total nerd and geek - and loves it. She's the one the hobby needs.

I seriously think you're out of touch with what's actually going on. Computer nerds aren't trying to get in the hobby. Go visit your local maker space, pick up Make magazine, visit hackaday.com, look at where the kids that should be future hams are. Visit a library and if they have a makerspace, see who's in there, and what they are doing.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    AG5DB likes this.
  5. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll add this. When I first saw the the change, I was thinking the same thing - was this change for change's sake? I read the editorial, and thought about it, and it made sense. After debating it here, and am even more sure about it. :p

The change wasn't for us. It wasn't for folks that have been hams for 50 years. And it isn't for computer nerds either.

AG5DB likes this.
  6. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Right. Think about it. However, the "us" I mean includes the traditional ham.

Assuming that you are "in touch" is a stretch but I accept that's YOUR opinion.

Would you like to continue with the idea that the change to Hacks is just fine regardless of what old-time hams may think? If so, then it may be why a whale of a lot of hams are not members of the ARRL and get QST.

I now wonder what percentage of active hams are members of the ARRL...

7. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

When I say "nerd," I do not restrict this to those who are computer related. There are nerds of all stripes.

8. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

It's an irrelevant organization trying to sound relevant again, without actually becoming relevant again.

The explanation is actually quite simple. :cool:

W1BR and KK5R like this.
  9. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's where they left the rails. But I guess they don't care about OTs; also I guess this explains the dropping of the "Of By and For the Radio Amateur" motto on the cover of each issue, which I was very sad to see. But it allows them to run articles on anything and everything, especially in the grab bag "Eclectic Technology" column. They could put an arduino garage door opener article there and it would now be okay. Doug DeMaw, George Grammer, Lew McCoy et al., are spinning in their graves.

"Maker": Millennial term for homebrewing, something hams have done for 100 years, but gen. Z has to believe they came up with the concept or they won't be interested.

WN1MB, W1BR, K5TCJ and 1 other person like this.
  10. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Correction: What was dropped from the cover was "Devoted Entirely To Amateur Radio." I apologize for the error.

KK5R likes this.
  11. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

It's pretty much six of one and half dozen of another. Thanks for the correction.

12. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Then they should change the magazine's name as well! What does QST mean to a millennial? A CW prosign, in 2018? For a magazine name?? How quaint!

Mag should be devoted to the almighty advertising dollar, since that's all they give a damn about.

KK5R likes this.
  13. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The same thing crossed my mind also. A Q signal for a magazine name? I was surprised they didn't notice and change the name to Digital Monthly or Internet of Things. Ditto for CQ. Throw us all under the bus.

KK5R likes this.
  14. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The new name could be 10-4 magazine. :rolleyes:

W1BR likes this.