Hillside Radials ????

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by AI7GT, May 18, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. AI7GT

AI7GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I am thinking about installing a vertical antenna. The only location that I have is on a hillside. Will the radials work if they are not perpendicular to the antenna itself? I'm guessing that it's about a 40-45 degree slope. Just curious as to whether this will disturb or impact the antenna's propagation or efficiency/

2. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure, it will affect it---but are you going to let it affect you? Why not try it and have some fun in the process. Yes, your signal will favor one direction more than the hill side direction---and that can benefit you when the desired station is in that direction, detract from your signals in the other.

Always remember this: EVERYTHING WORKS! It may not work as well as you or I would like but it is always going to be better than not having an antenna to use at all.

Don't let the little things get in the way of the bigger things; we only live so long...

73 and do have fun!

Jeff

N5AF, WA4SIX, W4HWD and 3 others like this.
  3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, as Jeff said, but only a tiny bit compared to no antenna!

You might consider an elevated vertical with elevated radials ( cut as two per band) for three reasons. First, the hill gives you a support for one side of them, and second because the dry rocky soil there is very lossy and you’ll need a lot of ground radials to approach the efficiency of what even one elevated radial would be. Thirdly the elevated radials would be perpendicular to the vertical radiator so the pattern distortion would less and only from the hill itself.

AK5B likes this.
  4. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I used three elevated radials with a half wave 20M vertical when I lived in Honolulu halfway up a ridge overlooking the city. Worked great for working DX with very low power.

Zak W1VT

AK5B and N0TZU like this.
  5. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

dang it Notty..... you beat me to the punch on that one! :D

Elevated radials are a good idea in that sort of location.

AK5B and N0TZU like this.
  6. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Another vote for elevated radials.

WZ7U, KK4NSF and AK5B like this.
  7. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't believe I, of all people around here, failed to recommend elevated radials right out of the gate. Clearly the way to go on that steep Arizona hillside, and only a few feet or more will help it perform better than if it was relying on on-ground radials with very lossy soil.

All of you guys beat me to it big-time!:oops::D

Shamefully yours,

---AK5B
    President
    Elevated Marconi Fan Club (Coastal Chapter)

KK4NSF likes this.
  8. AI7GT

AI7GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks everyone. I think I'll go down the elevated radial path. I appreciate all the recommendations. Thanks and 73's

AK5B likes this.