ad: Schulman-1

Hike & Views Granite Mtn (W6/SD-033) with SOTA Activation

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB8UIP, Mar 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KB8UIP

KB8UIP Ham Member QRZ Page

This is an 8mi out and back hike with +3200' vertical ascent. This was a max effort hike, I'd rate this difficult. Trail is hard to stay on, but AllTrails was great. No cell coverage (by ATT) at the bottom. SOTA designator W6/SD-033. Trailhead located just south of the RV Park. Made 9 QSO's (contacts), 4 on VHF (146.52MHz) and 5 on 40m (7.135MHz). Used the Anytone 878 with Arrow II 140-3 yagi on 2m, and the Yeasu FT-891 (25W) on 40m, with 20' telescoping TacMini and 40m home made dipole, with MFJ tuner.

upload_2021-3-21_3-11-8.png

W4BTH, VK3SQ, AJ6KZ and 5 others like this.
  2. WA6VVC

WA6VVC Ham Member QRZ Page

Little map might be nice. Figured it out. Lot of work for hand full of VHF Q's Still FM fun.

K6RWM and AK5B like this.
  3. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Wb6pot worked me while I was on a VA summit back in January. His callsign caught my attention due to our shared suffix. :)

Chris

4. W4THC

W4THC Ham Member QRZ Page

Enjoyed your adventure. Thank you for posting and i have to say you both a some hill steppers for sure. That's what us SW Missourians say. 73's to you both

AJ6KZ likes this.
  5. W6WR

W6WR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, inspiring, and the music is so un-elmerish! Love it. 73, W6SLA

6. K4PCD

K4PCD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What a hike. How did you secure your mast? Was the arrow antenna mounted to anything or just hand held?
    Paul

AJ6KZ likes this.
  7. KD7WPJ

KD7WPJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Great job! You were prepared well for this difficult hike! I made attempt to hike this mountain few years ago, but I bailed out. I did not have AllTrails map, and was not comfortable to find way up in the canyon. From video I learned that hiking poles may help as well.

8. K7CTV

K7CTV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice! Great job!

9. KC0FTB

KC0FTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't you just love those false summits? You guys got a lot of spring in your steps. Good job guys. Inspire to do the same. I used to rip off 16 mile days backpacking and a ton of vertical. Those days are over but 8 mile days are still doable combined with some vertical.

10. WA5KM

WA5KM Ham Member QRZ Page

Can we please stop co-opting already used acronyms (not these hiker guys but everyone). State Of The Art has been used for a hundred years and especially related to electronics and computers. And just how far will this " _ OTA" go as there must be at least a dozen now?
    Great job climbing guys and I love the high desert. I shudder to think of the climbs I did on my own however, way to risky not to have a buddy. 73s

11. WB6FQZ

WB6FQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video. You guys really earned your points on this one! lots of nice cholla cacti too. I think you could have just used your audio and not the techno music but that's just my opinion which I give free of charge so feel free to value it accordingly. TNX
    Chuck......WB6FQZ

12. W4BTH

W4BTH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a beautiful location. Great video. The umbrella & chair is a good idea. Thanks for posting.