Hijacked callsign - W2TZ Carl F. Groner

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KA2FIR, Jun 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I received an unsolicited email this morning at 3:30am from someone claiming to be Carl F. Groner W2TZ trying to sell an Alpha 8406. The photo used was lifted from an ad placed by N7KD back on April 4, 2018. Same MO as the W2TY scammer. Spamcop used to report spam.

Local pickup?

I don’t want my wife to know am selling up stuffs in the house I can ship to your QTH thanks my friend.

CARL F GRONER
    carlw2tz@aol.com

PayPal address:

Here is Paypal address nathan.ander1965@gmail.com please send via family and friends no fee attached thanks.
    CARL F GRONER
    carlw2tz@aol.com

The PayPal address is the same one used by scammer impersonating W2TY.

Initial email:

Selling my 6 meter Alpha 8406 amplifier. Pampered & rarely operated at anything over 1,000 Watts. Comes with manual. I'm the original owner. New the amp is $5350. Purchase mine for $2700 plus shipping. PayPal or personal check only. No trades. I'm moving overseas in 2019 & I don't have the room to bring this amplifier along.

W2TZ

CARL F GRONER
    carlw2tz@aol.com

Like W2TY, W2TZ has been reported as being used by scammers going back to 2015.

W2TZ appears to be an unmanaged account.

Thanks to google I found Carl's phone number and spoke to him. He was aware that his call was being used by scammers going back 3-4 years. I told him what to do regarding his qrz account.

Tnx,

Mike

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  2. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The W2TZ account was compromised in Feb. 2016 and has been closed since that time. We have never heard back from the real W2TZ.

3. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That alone should be enough to smell a rat.

N5PZJ likes this.
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I like to send these PayPal scammers $1 just to trace where they are located.

To me 1 dollar is worth loosing if it stops a scammer.