ad: wmr-1

Highest band you've used while mobile? Most distant QSO?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by N0IOP, Nov 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. N0IOP

N0IOP Ham Member QRZ Page

To frame the question, this is about operations that are capable of moving while operating.

Reading some of the articles and reviews, it seems like it's pretty common for people to burn up a screwdriver antenna on 40m and hope for better results than everyone else gets from a hamstick. Success stories are more elusive. If you have one, share it!

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

My highest band was 4th gear going about 120 MPH.

Then my antenna fell over.

WB4TAA, N0IOP and K3XR like this.
  3. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, if we are talking about HF, that would be ten meters and worldwide using a Kenwood TS-120s and ham sticks on the mirror mounts on my truck. Operated 10-80 in that truck mobile and moving most of that time.

Mobile operation was a bit troublesome and I later decided not to do it any more. Last operated mobile in the early 1990's.

N0IOP likes this.
  4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I had luck with hamsticks, better than nothing. I remember driving around in Orange County, CA calling CQ on 20M and hearing a station very faint coming back to me, I pulled over to better hear who it was and it was Guam. :D

N0IOP likes this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Since this was "highest band" in the original post, I've used 10.3 GHz while mobile and moving.

DX = about 120 miles, running 10W PEP 10.368 GHz SSB...in motion.

On HF, using 10m SSB with an HTX-100 and 150W PEP amp in the trunk, worked OD3NH (I think that's the call...it's been many years) in Lebanon from the 405 Freeway in Los Angeles. Antenna was a 96" whip on a ball mount on the fender.

6. N0IOP

N0IOP Ham Member QRZ Page

Right, gang. Highest in the sense that the "top band" is 160m. Lowest frequency, longest wavelength.

Thanks for the posts, carry on.

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

From the Great Pacific 'Northwet', I once busted a pileup on 20m CW mobile, and worked a UK station... a few thousand miles over the North pole. It took a while but, it was afternoon. Rig: Kenwood TS-120S, Ant: modified Hustler/New-Tronic loaded vertical.

Fast-forward a few decades. I busted another pileup on 20m SSB mobile, and worked a Malaysia station... several thousand miles. I was surprised at how quickly/easily I worked him (in the morning). Rig: Kenwood TS-130S, Ant: modified Hustler/New-Tronic loaded vertical.

8. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I lived in an apartment in the Bay Area in the early 2000's, and my home station was lacking to say the least, so most of my HF work was done from my car. Occasionally, that meant parking near the Bay, and putting up a REAL antenna near the water and working stations from my FT-857 in my car, with some coax running to the antenna. Proximity to saltwater is like an amp (but better), so my logbook from that time was pretty good.

9. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Under the right atmospheric conditions, about all the power it takes to circumvent the world, is measured in one-digit milliwatts. As Tom, W8JI, so eloquently stated... (sic)... " a log book full of contacts doesn't mean squat!"

AG5DB likes this.
  10. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OK well, that puts a different light on your post.

To understand this approach, it is recommended that a bit of ham radio history reading is in order.

Here's the really short version...

Back in the early days of the 20th century, when radio was in its infancy, king spark ruled the airwaves and transmitters and receivers were both very broad and not very sensitive in term of band width. Especially so when compared to radios of today.

Well whatever. Hams, military, and commercial stations all shared spectrum located in what we now refer to as medium and low wave bands. In dealing with the military, most notably the Navy and commercial (broadcast) interests, the hams had no big stick to fight with. The decisions were made to locate amateur radio to the "high frequencies" above 1MHz because no one at that time even envisioned such a thing as "shortwave" being of any use.

The prevailing theory of the day was that if the hams were exiled to the "higher frequencies " they would die off and disappear because everyone knew then that those high frequencies were of no use to anyone. Hams, being the fellows that they were then, made use of their new allocation. They even went higher and higher!

How about that! Radio then was leading edge technology and as such, it attracted the young ambitious fellows to it much like technology today does.

So that is why 160 meters was referred to as "Top Band" simply because back then it was. Now it should be called " bottom band" I guess,but even that is not correct, given recent new allocations.

Much more to the story. Not enough time or inclination to rehash all that now. Go find a copy of "200 meters and Down" for a good read on some radio history.