High voltage B+ connector - Options for 'Updating' Power Supply

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by SWL37632, Sep 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. W3SLK

W3SLK Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the Millen connectors are only rated to 2.5KV.

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As I recall from previous discussions, Millen catalogs provided no specifications for the connectors.

3. AE8W

AE8W Ham Member QRZ Page

I am pretty sure I know exactly what you have, but how about a pic?

I just did some online searching with most what I find to be high current regardless of voltage. High voltage connectors that you are looking for are available but they are not as popular as they used to be. It has been a couple of years but I have seen them used in household microwave ovens. The voltages involved in those are in the right range but lack the ruggedness even for ham duty.

Check this site out. I am pretty sure they are Chinese but the voltage ratings and price are not too bad.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    SWL37632 and KU3X like this.
  4. KC2ZFA

KC2ZFA Ham Member QRZ Page

real Millen connectors are so old that the threads on the female crumble very easily.

And, they’re not plastic…plastic doesn’t crumble with age.

5. W3SLK

I have to correct myself here. I found in a forum about them being good up to 7K, although the aforementioned incident with Shane led me to severely de-rate them. I have also seen where the claims are that the 'Red' connectors are more robust than the tan or brown. The material I thought is phenolic but I could be wrong, (lord knows I've been wrong before!).

6. KA0HCP

Of course it does. But what 'Plastic"?

Plastic is a general term that describes no specific material or process.

NG1H likes this.
  7. KA0HCP

SWL37632 likes this.
  8. KC2ZFA

KC2ZFA Ham Member QRZ Page

this is what happens with many of these "NOS" pieces.

Attached Files:

KA0HCP likes this.
  9. W3SLK

I don't know what happened to my previous post but if you go to RF PARTS dot com, click on the HV connectors, you will see the 37001 HV connector. It is rated for 7KV DC @ 2amps.

10. KD6VXI

KD6VXI Ham Member QRZ Page

Millen are crap. We have moved beyond the, what, 40s? in connector quality and construction.

In regards as to what happened I tok 3 x 6.2kv hits to the back of the hand from a faulty Millen installation. Can't have that problem with SHV and MHV.

The ER doc stated that I may experience problems for a good year. Well, 11.5 months later I'm having heart palpitations. 14 months later heart surgery.

Still having health issues.

Saving a few bucks on a connector isn't worth your life, period.

Since converting all my amps and customers amps to SHV as they come in I've had zero issues sans one that was damaged on the boat ride to Hawaii. Being its basically a Bnc they where able to fix it on island.

You don't want to ride the lightning. Even close to 3 years later it's still not fun.

--Shane
    KD6VXI

KA0HCP, SWL37632, N2EY and 2 others like this.