HIGH SPEED CW OP's

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K3EY, Apr 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am talking 50 WPM as a start. Wonder how many are still with us.

I know some are active and it's amazing to listen to them.

Look at WF3T's page, he gets insulted when others think he is using a code reader:)

Then we have W4BQF who likes Q's at 70 WPM and up, also K5TO, love it.

These guys to me are amazing, and the ones who say "oh I can do that" are usually full of it and themselves.

Wonder how long CW at any speed will still be a part of amateur radio, I am sure as long as I live but
    people like my son who thinks CW is stupid are the majority.

War movies will be the only place you hear CW:) But for now, I still get to use my Keys.

K7MH and N4FZ like this.
  2. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I can copy contest exchanges that fast. Ragchew CW at those speeds? Not me.

9Z4Y regularly calls CQ on 40m at about 45 wpm too.

K8XG likes this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My old man could do it--in a ragchew. There was seldom an opportunity for him to show off those skills though.

He did work as an op at coast marine stations occasionally, though, and I've heard there could be some pretty high speeds involved--so I've been told, anyhow.

Me? Best I could ever do was about 35. And I'm not sure I could now...not much opportunity to go even that fast outside a contest, usually. And with a contest you know basically what's coming.

As for how long CW will be around...it'll be around until I exit stage left, and that is good enough for me. :)

K8XG, US7IGN, AD5HR and 1 other person like this.
  4. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

Somebody on these forums made the analogy to riding horses. Most all do it because the want to, not that they need to. Like now, people will be doing CW forever simply because they want to, not out of any need.

W2AVR, N0NC, K8XG and 6 others like this.
  5. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

My CW skills stink but that's because I seldom use them and when I did it was for contest exchanges only. It's not that I don't think they're important skills, everyone should know a basics in several languages which CW is (my opinion). Plus who knows, they can be helpful if one finds themselves thrown into a Turkish prison.

Back to the OP, the guys I hung around with in Oregon were all very well adept in CW and were pretty fast. I found it fascinating and impressive in their receiving and sending skills. It was for them that I even gave CW an attempt. One of the greatest things was that they have been hams for 40-50 years yet never were too concerned that my sending and receiving were slow, or that I wrote down what letters I heard rather than words. They were always pleased if I just made an effort.

K8XG, WA1GXC and K3EY like this.
  6. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never really thought about getting faster than 25 WPM or so. 90% of my QSO's are in the 15-18 wpm range. I respect the heck out of anyone that can do 30+

N4FZ and W4KYR like this.
  7. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was in my mid-teens and on the rig every day, I topped out at about 45 in my head. Best copy on paper was 35, writing in script. Couldn't type, so that was out.

Couldn't quite hang in there at 50.

Bet you anything that the vast majority of speed demons learned code young. (I was 12.) It's a language acquisition thing, and that door eventually closes. Not to the point where you can't learn and get good at it, but I think learning young is a major, major advantage. Likewise, being "musical," another advantage that I think helped me.

N8ZL, W2AVR, KA0HCP and 5 others like this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

@K1LKP Carmen has a pretty large group of 50+ WPM folks in his circle and as part of the CFO club

Hopefully he will come along shortly :)

Dave
    W7UUU

K8PG likes this.
  9. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes he is good, I worked him and listened to him in Q’s.

10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I could never copy that fast, but I did know a few old Navy ops who could, and possible faster, I'm not really sure. I could copy 30 wpm pretty well, and a little faster on contest exchanges, only because you pretty much knew already what was being sent. I have always been comfortable between 15 and 20 wpm. One guy I remember, George, AA4FC, now K4PX, was an ex Navy signal guy, he could probably copy 50 wpm in his sleep, literally.