High Sierra, small indentation in screwdriver tube - removal ?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by WQ6N, Sep 22, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WQ6N

WQ6N XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had this HS-1500 mkII screwdriver for a few years now and I am getting ready to sell the system. Lately I have noticed a slight slowdown near the bottom of the tube. Its not large or deep indentation but enough to make it noticeable when extending of lowering the antenna.
    I have looked at techniques used to remove dents in musical instruments and telescopes. During the cleaning, I have removed the motor and coil assy and have tried to kneed the dent out with a PVC collar on the end of a water pipe. The indentation is a little less than half way in the tube on one side. I have also tried to massage the area with non-marking connector pliers while the internal coil sleeve is position under the area. I have stopped short of heating the spot. I have seen metal rollers that may work while smaller metal pipe is inside. Then I have seen comments regarding tail pipe exhaust expansion tools that may work.
    The tube appears to be a pretty high grade aluminum with some tensile strength. The inside is a polished glossy finish that allows the coil assy to smoothly in one direction or another. There is a close tolerance between the coil assy and the tube interior walls.
    Has anyone addressed a similar challenge? I am willing to give it another go before putting it up for sale. It works, but just trying to make things work properly. The exhaust pipe expander would probably work but I am not willing to spend the $$ for a one time fix.
    This has been a awesome antenna that will handle 800w. If you have a method or idea, I would like to hear it.
    Thank you in advance.

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Tubes are available from Tarheel if you want to replace it. Or... Take it to a muffler shop, and have them use a pipe expander just enough to fix the dent.

3. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with Alan; take it to a muffler shop. They shouldn't charge you an arm and a leg to remove the dent.