ad: M2Ant-1

High Sierra HS-1500 mk II conversion from 9vdc to 12vdc

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WQ6N, Jan 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. WQ6N

WQ6N XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you are lucky enough to find one of the HS Blackhawk motors there is a possibility to modify the old 9vdc
    screwdriver antenna to a 12vdc system. Jim has engineered the offset mount and extension to make this happen without too much work involved.
    First, I took some backup measurements of the existing 9vd motor and coil assy. It is about 6in. between the bottom of the motor to the bottom of the coil assy (or 5 3/4 from the mounting hole on the motor housing). There was a 1in. distance between the double nut and the top of the motor housing.
    The distance is important as you need to make sure there is coil contact while in the lowered position with the new 12vdc motor adapter. With the new motor put in with the longer extension the motor to coil was about 1in. too short. Releasing the two jamb nuts, I extended the distance to make up for the shortfall. (this took about 3 tries to get it right).
    Prior to integrating the new motor, I notice that there was old dry grease. Removing the motor mount adapter there was plenty more to clean up with isopropyl alcohol. I decided to go all the way into the motor gear box and indeed the old grease was very hard. I have had a lot of good results with Lubriplate lithium grease in the past so I applied a new coat to the gears, shaft and washers. I also marked the housing prior to taking things apart to make sure they get put back together the same way. Testing the motor assy was much quieter after the new lubrication.
    Inserted the completed coil and motor into the tube and lined up the two mounting holes. Installed the spring contact assy on the antenna top with conductive anti-seiz and bug shield. Installed the bottom mounting plug, again with anti-seiz. All done.
    Test was successful in both directions. Now if I can just find my 12vdc rocker switch for up/down control. As a wild hair, I did a little research online on the Pittman Gearhead DC motors in the GM9000 series. Maybe someone has already done this and can apply their research.
    The key to the above was the motor adapter that allowed the geared motor to be centered and the machined connection adapter from motor to the coil assy. I now have a HS-1800 12vdc antenna.
    Also before I installed the motor, I took the paint down to bare metal and used Dupli-color automotive primer and paint in rattle cans to bring the mounting bracket and antenna to the same color as the car. (Well kinda close). It takes about 5 days for the paint to cure before I can wax the outside.
    I will take some pic's once its all together and mounted.

NH7RO likes this.
  2. WQ6N

I was off with the Pittman GM9000 series as they are 2in dia for the gear assy. The GM8000 series is smaller and has the three 4-40 screw pattern. Specifically the GM8224S026 12v at 24 rpm. $182.00 each. There is a raw stock 36in 6061T6 2in OD round tube with .065 wall on Amazon for $37 which is not a bad price. The Tarheel control switch works perfectly.

3. WQ6N

Sharing a lesson learned. I have received the HPS AST-3F-200 6061 T6 Seamless Aluminum Round Straight Tubing, 16 Gauge, 3' Length, 2" OD, 0.065" Wall Thickness. The ID of the pipe is very snug which is a concern in potential binding. A better wall thickness would be .049~.06 which is @18 gauge. Speedy Metals has this for $74+ which is twice the price of Amazon. The ID of the received pipe is very smooth without a seam. It would not take much to polish it off. The extra thickness would give it some resistance to dinging. It would also provide a better drill and tap for the anti-rotation rib. There would be some effort to reduce the OD of the coil assy and brass base to use the thicker walled pipe. Not much. but it is still time spent. Online Metals has a 6061-T6 round tube with 2" OD and a .058 wall which may work better at $41.00 which is reasonable. I am sure there will be a shipping charge associated.
    So right now I am on the fence as to the next step.

4. WQ6N

If you are looking for parts, as of late yesterday, some HS parts were put on eBay. This includes limited Blackhawk 12vdc geared motors with adapters, weathershield kits, contract springs and control box.
    JohnF
    eBay Parts.JPG

5. WQ6N

I picked up one of the old HS-1800 stock as a spare motor. I did take it apart for overhaul and happy that I did. Water had gotten into the gearbox and some corrosion was in process. I removed all the old grease and wire brushed the corrosion. Had to use a small straight blade pocket knife to get into the tight areas. Repacked the gearbox with Aero Lubriplate and put it all back together. Very smooth now.
    Here is a couple of pics of the internal gears and mounting shim.
    BlackHawk-Gear-Box_s.jpg BlackHawk-Gear-mount_s.jpg

6. WQ6N

Here are some pics of the original HS1500-MKII motor and gearbox. I did an open, inspect, clean and lubricate of the gearbox.
    HS-1500 Motor_s.jpg HS1500-Gearbox2_s.jpg
    HS-1500MKII-MotorMount_s.jpg HS1500-Gearbox1_s.jpg
    Here is a pic of the control box. It has the dropping resister allowing the 9VDC motor to run off of 12VDC.
    HS-1500MKII ControlBox_s.jpg
    Hope this helps someone with their High Sierra screwdriver project.
    73, JohnF

Attached Files: