ad: portazero-1

High Sierra antenna

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KA4VNM, Jun 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KA4VNM

KA4VNM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I purchased what appears to be an unused or if used barely High Sierra antenna. It is pristine. So Here is my problem. The are no schematics that I can find and I have what appears to be the manual controller. Since it has neither an Icom, Kenwood or Yaesu connector and the indicator light is red versus green. So there is the antenna line with red and black with the typical two pin Black molex (guess) which I assume goes to he antenna. The box has a second line going that is grey and has a 4 pin white small molex with only three wires attached. The problem is I don't want to wreck the antenna playing with it, nor the controller. My guess is the molex used to be a cigar plug and someone used a Turbo Tuner with it possibly and chopped off the cigar adapter. The leads from the white Molex go into the box and are connected white and black to the boxes circuit board and red to the lamp through a capacitor which encapsulated in heat shrink. I am wondering if this was modified or if the Turbo Tuner kit came with the molex side and the original cigar lighter connection was replaced with it. The other thought would be the the white Molex fits a particular radio I am not familiar with. Any advice or suggestions as to how to proceed appreciated!

Pat

upload_2021-6-12_15-2-49.jpeg upload_2021-6-12_15-2-49.jpeg upload_2021-6-12_15-2-49.jpeg

2. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've got their 2001 catalog but it doesn't contain wiring diagrams. I suspect that I have the schematic somewhere in my pile of old manuals. If no individual replies, I will search for it tomorrow.

I had issues with the antenna. RF wise it was great. I had issues with the safety of the little control switch. They resolved it after QST got involved.

corky w2aat

3. KA4VNM

4. WQ6N

WQ6N Ham Member QRZ Page

Recommend you google and download the HS-1800 manual (about 10mgb). Typically, Red/Black are power leads and the other is the antenna. Someone my have installed a turns counter.

5. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

If you happen to be running the HS with an Icom or Kenwood rig, post in the "Wanted" section of the classifieds for an automatic controller. They make a huge difference.
    I have the Better RF controller for my IC-7000 & just hit the tune button, off it goes & beeps when done.

Ed

6. KA4VNM

Yeah, its really a mystery. I only have two connections so I think the grey line was added along with the little circuit board or its a model not in the manual. It may have gone to some third party controller because some of them seem to have the same connector. I hoping some one sees the picture and recognizes it. To be honest I am afraid to hit it with any voltage out of fear of damaging the controller. Evidently the light is when it hits the stops so you don't cook the motor. The grey wire looks to me like mod of some sort. I may pry the little board loose and see if there is any printing on it like a manufacturer or model number. The antenna it self works great I used a 9 volt to run it up and down and actually with it in the bench vise got 2.1-1 SWR which I thought was amazing without a counter poise or real ground. The antenna itself is like new and I have $200 in it so if I have to drop for anther controller I am good with that. Thanks for the help folks!

Pat

7. KB3UWC

KB3UWC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am sure you have the 1800 high sierra antenna. Looking inside your control box, there is no large power resistor. So it supplies a full 12 volts to your antenna. The controller for the 1500, has the resistor and lowers the voltage to I believe 9 volts. It uses a different motor to operate the antenna. You can not use any other controller for the 1500, with out possibly damaging the motor.
    I have all the paper work for the 1500 if anybody needs a copy, both in pdf and hard copy.
    Steve KB3UWC

8. KA4VNM

I have a Sidekick according to the manual I have that came with it. So it has the Blackhawk motor at least according to the manual. I did test it more today on the Grand Cherokee. I have a hitch mount so screwed in a Hustler mast, the the Sidekick and used a 9 volt battery to adjust the antenna and amazingly I got it down 1.5-1 on 20 and 1.9-1 on 40 so its working! At least according to the analyzer. I'm going to try my KX3 with it next at some point. If I can locate a basic controller or change the one I have so it uses the 12 Volt Input I would be happy. Most of what I need it for is POTA or at the drive on Beach or maybe some random Park stops. If you have any documentation that applies to the controller I have that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

9. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

www.k0bg.com has a wealth of info on controllers & other mobile stuff. Worth reading every page.
    Especially the "Impedance matching" page. Once done right, you can have under 1.5:1 from 80M-6M.

Ed

10. KA4VNM

It is and it was one of the first sites I visited. My sticking point is the current controller and what's in it beyond the basic function. I am hoping someone here recognizes the grey wire and the little board that looks like an add on. See the actual basic one in the manual has just the antenna output and the cigar lighter connection. My guess is it goes to an after market controller like an Ameritron or Turbotuner which has the same square molex. like I said I have working with a 9 volt manually and the antenn itself is super. Maybe someone out there has one of the original basic controllers and would sell it or send me a pict of the inside of it.