ad: M2Ant-1

HIGH SCHOOL HAMS Build Competition Solar Car

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K9EID/SK2024, Jul 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K9EID/SK2024

K9EID/SK2024 QRZ Lifetime Member #477 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The STEM team at Pana, Illinois high school has spent the school year designing and building a Solar Car that they will enter in the Solar Car Challenge, a race of 1,400 miles starting in Ft. Worth, Texas and ending in Palmdale, Arizona. KD9LAT, Lucas and Kaitlyn, KD9KTG join Bob Heil on Ham Nation on Wednesday July 11th telling the story of how they built the Solar Car and what lies ahead for these exceptional students . 16.P1130843 copy.jpeg

WA7KVI, N6EIO, W6GH and 14 others like this.
  2. W2MGF

W2MGF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Awesome !!

3. KI4QAC

KI4QAC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's outstanding. Would like to see in on the road. The top shade will serve dual purpose on that journey, too.

K9ASE and NU4R like this.
  4. KI4ODO

KI4ODO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No antenna? :D

KG5PYY, N3UPM, KK5JY and 1 other person like this.
  5. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

KATELYN KD9KTG.
    “I don’t care what the newspapers say about me as long as they spell my name right.” -P.T. Barnum.

K9CTB, NU4R and W1YW like this.
  6. K5WWQ

K5WWQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent - Work Hard - Play Hard - Good Luck !!!

I was heavily involved with the GM Sunrayce USA in 1990 from Orlando to Detroit and brought together a team of hams and engineers to provide various support for the University of Texas (Austin) "Texas Native Sun" car.

Even though we placed 22nd out of 32, most students on the project went on to become first class engineers.

The Experiences, Friendships, and Memories - Remain Priceless.

Best Regards to All Race Participants :)

K9ASE and NU4R like this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

VERY cool story!!! I'll be watching....

Dave
    W7UUU

NU4R likes this.
  8. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Exceptional students? That's an understatement! Rock on kids!

9. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looking forward to the construction article on this project, particularl thr parts list and schematic :)

10. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

11. WB1E

WB1E Ham Member QRZ Page

Link to the "Rules Book". http://www.solarcarchallenge.org/challenge/rules.shtml

I read where the use of only Lead-Acid rechargeable batteries were allowed. I laughed, as I thought of someone (me?) employing LIPo cells and would hardly if at all, not even need charging, toss the solar cell mid race and your gone. I do hope that there is a minimum weight requirement and that the team with the most $$$ is not the foreseen winner.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sometimes we witness a strange dose of what could be perceived as some sort of short term phenomena where Pin approaches Pout. Read on ..........

I saw a solar powered motorcycle once. These two engineers who were already tuned in to the alternate energy scene, lets say "lifestyle" for now. Our company made fuel cells of many types. So one day Armondo & Harry, two of the most enterprising engineers in the company, had taken lunch together riding said motorcycle when on the way back the old (and just recently revived mind you) motorcycle's motor seemed to quit running halfway through the intersection, just in front out company's parking lot. So as I watched the two of them riding the now very streamlined and silent motorcycle Armondo being the team mate that he was, jumped off the back of the motorcycle and pushed it with Harry still proudly sitting in the command position, up the curb, across the grass and into the parking slot they left from.

....So how was it Solar powered you ask? That was Armondo's last name; "Solar"................................................... What?

73 and the best of luck and sunny skies with a tailwind from all us out of gas hot rodders here in Texas-
    Doug
    N5DMC

12. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Only thing I see wrong with the design is using the trailer tires. Spoked motorcycle wheels and street tires with a solid center rib would likely have less weight and rolling resistance.

WB1E likes this.
  13. VK5JA

VK5JA Ham Member QRZ Page

If that car ain't got some heating, that will be one very cool ride this time of year! Good luck, and We hope it makes it all the way..
    Jay
    VK4JK

14. NR9EM

NR9EM Ham Member QRZ Page

We are aware of that issue, due to the base design coming from a golf car, the solution was to order special bias ply trailer tires rated at 90 psi ... air resistance is our concern though the design did not allow for any fairings.. Rolling resistance looks to by quite minimal as the footprint is about 10 - 12 mm wide.

15. NR9EM

NR9EM Ham Member QRZ Page

There is air conditioning on board if too hot i.e. one big high velocity fan LOL. We are hoping for cool air/ easier driving and better for the panels and electronics as they run very hot any way.