ad: MyersEng-1

High Power Rocketry with Ham Based Telemetry

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N5HZR, Nov 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Put it on your Bucket List and take a kid.

N5HZR, KA2CZU and W1YW like this.
  2. ZL2SCI

ZL2SCI Ham Member QRZ Page

So funny Cigar Tubes lol yes was witness to the building of of them but all reports didn't go very well lol ... Also sugar as part of the fuel on another occasion that was a fizzer but think they the mix wrong perhaps ... but yes Kerosen burnt that is lol just a big whiff mmmm but you get same wiff from kerosen powder tractors .... lol cars and trucks ..
    Same could be said for deep frying oil that's been recycled from Take Away fish chips ( FRYS) LOL ... .... DAM missed the shuttle launches when had opportunity... not good .... lol

N5HZR likes this.
  3. KJ7BBS

KJ7BBS Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't mind trying some ham telemetry on one of my high power rockets.

N5HZR likes this.
  4. KJ7BBS

I wouldn't mind trying some ham telemetry on one of my high power rockets.

N5HZR likes this.
  5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out Altus Metrum, and Big Red Bee.

I think the Byonics and Argent stuff is too bulky to fly. Check them out anyways, might suit you.

N5HZR likes this.
  6. KJ7BBS

I have quite a bit of room in avionics bays

N5HZR likes this.
  7. K6CLS

Ok, great, easier that way. I can't believe it now, all the stuff is c4am in to 38mm and 54mm bays... My son was little, little clever hands, was a big help. These days I like working with 3", 4", and 5.5" a lot better.

What are you building?

N5HZR likes this.
  8. KJ7BBS

My favorite BT is 8"

N5HZR likes this.
  9. K6CLS

Ok... Plenty of room! Unless you are flying EX Q motors, you don't lose sight of it. So maybe the trackers are less interesting.

A number of 9 and 11 DOF recording devices are available, but it's easy to build your own. Arduino comes to mind.

It is so cool to download the data and match it with on board and pad video... And the simulation... Yeah...

N5HZR likes this.
  10. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was younger decades ago I launched a little tiny 2 meter homebrew transmitter in a model rocket so I could use my handheld to monitor the signal and also hopefully locate the returned rocket. It worked after a fashion but I never went any further in that sort of experimentation.

N5HZR likes this.