ad: elecraft

High Altitude Balloon Carrying Amateur Radio - Burst!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AB1OC, Jun 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KA9Q

KA9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I know. But you also don't want components to overheat, either. That's possible when you have some small, high power stuff embedded in styrofoam, especially if you just stuff in a bunch of uncontrolled hand warmers.

I'd like to find some simple way to actively regulate everything. Because the air gets very thin at altitude, ideally you'd not depend on convection but fasten everything to some sort of conductive "cold plate" and then regulate the temperature of that plate. On short flights you can use a thermostatically controlled electrical heater if the heat requirements aren't too great, but getting rid of too much heat can be a problem. I'd like to find some sort of "thermal switch" that would connect the cold plate to an external radiator (e.g., a thin sheet of aluminum covered with thin Kapton tape to increase the emissivity, i.e., make it look black in the far IR). Thermal switches do exist for spacecraft but they're rather new and, like everything else for space, very expensive. I wonder if there's some cheap and innovative way to accomplish the same thing.

2. AB1OC

AB1OC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We have not had any problems using hand warmers. We put them on the cameras just before launch and they take some time to build heat. By the time they are warm, the balloon is up several thousand feet and its cold. The approach works well and is very lightweight.

AB2YC likes this.
  3. K3RBZ

K3RBZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Aww

4. KH6PGA

KH6PGA Ham Member QRZ Page

And I thought the earth was flat. Damn

5. KS4KY

KS4KY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You hit the dome. Nothing can go past the dome.........Yes I'm just kidding before someone tries to give me a lecture...:)

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That happened to Truman once... :)

[​IMG]

7. K5MO

K5MO Ham Member QRZ Page

In regards many of the balloons we're talking about in this thread, you're quite wrong. We're talking about total weight in the ounce region, which are not regulated in any way

8. K5MO

K5MO Ham Member QRZ Page

Me too, but free people do free stuff. Go build a balloon (I'm going to)

Have fun. Ham radio is a hobby subject to all sorts of antics, if done correctly.

John K5MO

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  9. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

I truly believe some people wake up every morning hoping there are kids on the lawn just so they can get pissed and scold them.

K5MO likes this.
  10. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And remember to maintain that freedom! There are folks out there that would like to suppress it...and they are not limited to HOAs!

K5MO likes this.