ad: M2Ant-1

Hidden Threats to Ham Radio - DRM & DMCA

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WA3YRE, Dec 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA3YRE

WA3YRE Guest

The unfortunant thing is that The DMCA is already law. It passed very quietly in 1998. Now the MPAA & RIAA are trying to get goverment regulations in place to expand the things the DMCA can
    apply to. This is exactly what NPRM 02-230
    is all about. It is fortunant that there was an overwhelming response
    against the NPRM in the comments to the FCC. We can hope that the
    FCC listens to the will of the people, but unfortunantly there is no
    mandate that they listen.

The next part of the fight on this front is the reply comment period, unless of course the FCC accepts the request for extension of time to file that New Yorkers For Fair Use filed Friday due to malfunctions of the FCC ECFS system.

Keep an eye on the New Yorkers For Fair Use web site for information on the reply comment period.

In addition while repulsing the assults that are using the DMCA as a
    launching platform we need to work on getting congress to repeal the
    DMCA. When I started to warn folks about the evil that is the DMCA back in 1998 before the law was passed everyone was so
    sure that this could never happen in America that no one took the threat
    seriously with the exception of those in the Free Software Movement.

2. AL0M

AL0M Ham Member QRZ Page

The entire effort by the 'artist industries' is hilarious and pathetic.  They did the same thing with cassette tapes years ago.  There are already more AD/DA devices manufactured than they can round up.  There are more computers already manufactured than they can control.  Too late RIAA, cat's out of the bag.

SHOCKER!  A majority of the music pirated is by kids listening to kids music.  The industry has targeted our children for years, and overcharged them for years.  For something that influences children in a negative way and they eventually they outgrow it I think the public should CHARGE the RIAA and the recording industry with the criminal offenses of 'contributing to the deliquency of minors'  100 million counts, one for each record sold.  At watch THEM squirm.  The RIAA is diverting the attention from the real crime committed which is giving $millions to the worst examples of human beings and then telling us we are cheating them!  Let's get out a rope and cut out the double talk!  These guys are double talking criminals!  They say we are being irresponsible with THEIR music?  We these jerks are being irresponsible with OUR CHILDREN too and they use the free speech laws to continue.  I say we use the free speech laws too!

3. N5JOB

N5JOB Banned

I have not read the related documents yet, so I really can't comment specifically.  BUT - all this sounds like the HDTV ripoff that is taking place.

The color television standard as we have known it is perfectly satisfactory for 99.9 percent of the population.  HDTV is unnecessary.  Why is it happening?  It's just another big SCAM.

They are making a market for themselves.  They know that if they change the standard, then EVERYONE will have to buy new televisions.  What's that... about 500 million televisions in the United States alone?  That's big money.

This is all B.S. and at this point in my life I'm SICK of continually being SCAMMED.  I rebel by NOT BUYING all their high priced CD's, computers, televisions, radios, etc.  I use all ANALOG equipment in my SWL station and it works fine.  It was inexpensive and I can work on it if I need to.

Now MAYBE if all those things were built in the U.S.A. by U.S. citizen workers I would get some of them.  But why should I support slave labor in China and Mexico?

4. WA4RYW

WA4RYW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, this hasn't got a thing to do with ham radio (at first), but since we're on the subject of RIAA/MPAA, my two cents worth. I, for one, have not purchased an industry-produced CD in over 10 years. My reasons have to do with the industry's insistance that I purchase a $15+ CD full of crap for perhaps one cut that I want. Remember when CDs first came out? The options were $4-7 dollar LPs and $1.25 45 RPM singles. We were supposed to imbrace the CD concept because cheap manufacturing costs were going to cause the cost to the comsumer to plummet, among the technical advantages. But to cover the engineering and development costs, we need to endure a brief period of paying $15+ dollars for media. Yeah. Well, singles are AWOL, and CDs are still $15+ dollars, even though production costs are down to pennies per disk. I hate being forced to accept their marketing with no recourse and no options. Sans the college kids that are "stealing" material for whatever reason they use, the grand majority of people I know of engaging in Internet exchanging are staging either "civil disobedience on a grand scale" or distributing their self-produced music without having to beg the great music industry for their blessing, or both. One thing for certain, they have their attention! Personally, I hope they drive their greedy bones (cleaned up substantially) out of business and take Metallica with them. Almost everyone I know that is engaged in the practice downloads self-produced material, or old out-of-circulation 50s-80s music that one couldn't buy for any amount of money, unless subscribing to a Time-Life subscription of never-ending hell. As someone else put it in an earlier post, the major reason their sales are in a death spiral have more to do with the programmed crap they put out for consumption, and people's lack of desire to listen to it. There hasn't been any real talent released from the "machine" since the 80's (in my opinion, of course). All we get now is rap and "made for consumption" formula pap like the Back Street Boys. Perhaps if they would get out of the office on occasion and scout around some of the places new talent would likely be, and of course stick by them (read: commitment) until they built a little name recognition, maybe they could deliver some real quality atristic material again. They don't nurture potential any longer, they just formulate for the quick buck. I for one say MPAA/RIAA, ROT IN HELL! Disclaimer: This rant has been focused primarily at the RIAA, however I do also have a good rant for the MPAA. For another day. In the meantime, get off your A** and don't take it lying down! This "devil may care" attitude that Americans in general are adopting is what attributed to Amateur Radio's decent/devolution into CB Phase II, and will ultimately be the finishing touch that kills off our spectrum at 220MHz and above. The greatest threat to our spectrum that has ever existed is our situation today, and the bands above two meters are all but dead. My God people, get involved!!! In something. Anything!

I'm finished now. And yes, I feel better.

5. N1ZTB

N1ZTB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To all of this I must say....

You have GOT to be fuc*ing kidding me....

More and more lately I find myself wondering I we really beat communism, or joining it.

JM2C

73 de Erik N1ZTB

6. K2PG

K2PG Ham Member QRZ Page

The DMCA is not the only obnoxious law to come out of the reeking dung heap that is Washington. Does anyone remember the ECPA of 1986, with its subsequent amendments? Thanks to that law, pushed through Congress by the cellular industry, the government now dictates which frequencies we may or may not tune to and the government dictates receiver design. It seems to me that the other countries that joined this "land of the free" in passing receiver laws included Communist China, the Soviet Union, the now-defunct "German Democratic Republic" (East Germany), and Hitler's Germany. And, of course, the forced conversion to digital television broadcasting (DTV), fueled by Cong. Billy Tauzin (R-LA) with a push from his masters in the cellular industry (which wants the upper UHF channels), will make all of your television sets obsolete within three years--especially if Tauzin gets his way in taking away the provision that 85% of viewers be capable of receiving digital broadcasts before analog is shut down.

The filthiest, vilest whores reside, not on Times Square, but on Capitol Hill! And it's obvious that the place that needs a "regime change" is not Baghdad but Washington! Time for us Americans to take back our country!

It is said that nobody's freedom and property are safe when Congress is in session. Perhaps the people should see to it that no congressman or senator should be safe from the people's wrath.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.