Hidden Address Feature

Discussion in 'Suggestions and New Feature Requests' started by KG4EQY, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Took me about 30 seconds navigating directly from www.fcc.gov to look myself up. It is public information and easy to find. Perhaps you might be able to ask the qrz admin folk nicely to remove it, but I'm not sure how helpful that would be. If you google ham radio callsign lookup in google you come up with many other sites than just QRZ, including a link to the appropriate search page of the FCC. Heck, qrz wasn't even the first link that came up, it was the arrl license search page.

2. AK4MP

AK4MP QRZ Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My suggestion about this topic would be this:

If you feel this strongly about an "OPT OUT"
    or a hidden address then send your suggestion to:

EDITOR@QRZ.COM

Maybe Fred would be willing to include something like this
    in the next program update.

3. KD2RJS

KD2RJS Ham Member QRZ Page

You are aware of the ULS?

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp

Every address you have ever had listed on your ticket will be listed there. Even if your current is a PO box someone can find your last address and extrapolate. You can also search by geographic location (lat long, state/county). You're correct, you WOULD have to click on an application to see that though. I'm not sure why you think someone would go through the trouble of finding the ULS, putting in your call sign and then give up at that point.

How about a good old fashioned drive around the town? I bet people that have expensive radios have expensive (high profile) antennas.

Also I see muttering of a phrase that always irks me: "this day in age." What exactly does that mean? Do we have data or studies on crime rates on hams vs non hams or is this just a knee jerk reaction? Do we have any news articles or police reports on criminals using a scanner or radio to gather intel on hams? Anything to indicate trending in this direction?

I apologize if this sounds rude; that's not my intent. These claims just don't make much sense to me and changing QRZ will not be as simple as changing a line "hideaddress = 1;".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.