Hi there, new member signing in

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by M7JWB, Apr 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. M7JWB

M7JWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi folks - just joined the forum. Passed my foundation licence the other day, not got my callsign yet but with 5 days or so. My son has his exam tonight so good luck to him, and i hope he passes.

My background is CB radio in the late 70's and I was at school. I loved it but gave up once I discovered other things outside the house.

Just picked up a Kenwood 520SE and brought her home today. Reading up on it, I realise that it is a work horse even if it is an old model. I dare say I will build up to a modern (digital readout type) sometime.

What should I know about operating that particular radio? How do I 'dial down' the output wattage for example (as I can only TX on 10 watts at the moment)

Should it be left to sit and warm up before use because it has valves?

Any other tips on using it that experienced users might have?

Thanks in advance

2. VK4WW

VK4WW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi SOOPER8, welcome to the forums and congrats on getting your foundation license! Can't really help you with those Kenwood 520 questions, but it sounds like you might be located in VK? so I look forward to hearing you on the bands soon.

3. M7JWB

M7JWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the welcome VK4WW. I am in the UK.