ad: wmr-1

Hi all! New guy here.

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KJ6MWZ, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KJ6MWZ

KJ6MWZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello everyone, I wanted to introduce myself and couldn't find a newbie thread (apologies if I missed it).

My name is Mark and I am currently living in sunny San Diego. I am the lucky recipient of a Kenwood TS-850S that I am currently tracking down a power supply and antenna for. A friend's grandfather passed away and my buddy grabbed the radio for me before everything else was donated.

A long time ago (relative since I am only 30) I was into the CB thing, I had a base station set up at the house and had a sweet 18 ft antenna in the backyard. I used to talk to people all the time in the upper channels USB and LSB. I also had a short wave listening station. I was always interested in but never ended up getting my license. Now that I have a radio, my interest has been re-kindled. I have Gordon West's books for technician and general on their way to the house now.

I just wanted to say hello as I am sure I will be bugging all of you with tons of questions as I dust off the radio cobwebs in my brain. Looking forward to talking to you all soon!

2. N4CYA

N4CYA QRZ MODERATOR Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Hello Mark,

Welcome to QRZ Forums! Here you will many different kind of topic's that may interest you to read upon...We have alot of nice ham's here on the forums who will go out of they're way to answer your question you may need answered by someone. Good luck.

- Jamie (N4CYA) of the QRZ moderators. :D

3. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi, Mark, and welcome. There is a forum for folks like yourself: http://forums.qrz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

You might also take a run by the 'HamRadioHelpGroup' on Yahoogroups.

You'll find helpful folks in both places.

Good luck on getting a license and joining us on the the air.

California is really a great place for radio. There is a great deal of VHF/UHF FM here, with big linked repeater systems that more than cover the state.

4. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome aboard, Mark. QRZ's a fun place to hang out, learn about ham radio, and get your nerd on (might I suggest 'Computers' and 'Rag Chew Central'?)

You'll do fine on the tests. The testing program has been simplified to the point where a person with a sharp memory and two to three months can go from nothing to Extra in a sitting. Take it at your own pace though. No rush.

Also, check out a club. You'll find older hams there that'll help you get your gear together. Also, they'll (hopefully) help you learn proper operating procedure. Be sure to get to Field Day this year. Field Day is a cookout/radio contest/"emergency preparedness exercise" that is the closest thing to a weekend ham party.

73, Jordan

5. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

MarkS...

Speaking from experience, you should probably try to learn the code...(Morse Code)...Only then can you appreciate the entire scope of this very Unique "Hobby". Welcome,...Don't hesitate to ask question s... Someone on:confused: this forum will help. Do you like "Black Bird Stew"?? just wanderi...... oops, ..wondering? Best Regards's... Steve

6. KJ6MWZ

Thanks for moving the thread and the welcoming words!

I have been taking the online practice tests that I can find around the web to identify where the main deficiencies are. So far most of the basic electrical theory is intact, ohm's law, schematic symbols etc. I have to re-remember the equation to go from wavelength to hertz, and a few other things.

As for learning the code, I definitly see value in it but that was my main stumbling block last time... For some reason a disconnect occurs between brain and key, I will revisit it again, maybe the synapses will fire correctly this time and I can remember it.

7. N2APR

N2APR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, that didn't take long. I would have guessed the second or third page.

Anywho, welcome to the forums, and have fun!

8. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

Every ham should give CW a try even if it's not required for a license anymore. Many hams that try SSB at 100 W find it difficult to make contacts. CW is much more efficient. Also, many DX ops use CW. Want that rare one? You might have to reach for the key.

Might I suggest just listening to W1AW slow speed code. Don't write anything down. Just listen and let the characters come to mind. In the bad old days we had to learn to copy code by hand to pass the tests. Nowadays its just better to get an aural feel for the language. I find it hard on the hands to write down code past 15 wpm -- haven't a clue how I passed the 20!

73, Jordan

9. NY3V

NY3V Ham Member QRZ Page

10. KJ6MWZ

LOL yeah, we used our zoo/prison passes for the "Inmate Encounter" exhibit last weekend, didnt see much though as the inmates smeared feces on the observation windows. We also did the "Hunter to hunted" experience where, to illustrate the affects of poaching, they give the inmates jeeps, and high powered rifles, and zoo/prison visitors stand at a watering hole and then scatter. It is quite exhilirating but I am sure gonna miss my mother in law. She wasn't quick enough... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.