HF/VHF/UHF attic antenna options for 30'x25' attic?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by Pushraft, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA1MDA

KA1MDA Ham Member QRZ Page

"I will keep taking practice exams"

That explains everything. Maybe you should skip the practice tests all together, and try something extreme, like getting some books and studying.

W5TSC likes this.
  2. Pushraft

Pushraft Banned

I have several antenna books. I am just a slow reader. It will take me a year or so to read them all. Practice tests seem like good tool for studying for the real exam. I even "stumped" a General when I mentioned ITU and he gave the wrong answer to me but I knew the correct answer.

3. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Meh, a Computer Science Doctorate friend of mine can stump me from time to time with a nugget of factoid about TCP/IP or some such other information.

The Doctorate in CS is probably more knowledgeable than I in the CS field. I know this, because he is designing Neural Processing Nets.

But, I can run circles around him when it comes to programming routers, deploying servers, etc. Why? Because I am doing that sort of thing everyday. He is able to recite the RFC (Request for Comment) for email, but I can get email flowing from point A to B much quicker than him. Why? I am doing it.

You may want to heed some of the other posters in this:

1) Get Tech Ticket.
    2) Get on air
    3) Experiment on bands
    4) Get General ticket.
    5) ???
    6) PROFIT!!

4. KE7AUB

KE7AUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just "DO IT"

I been following your posts. Either you are a college student working on his Masters Thesis or you just like to ask 'A LOT' of questions.

Here is my formula. Get the ticket, then have fun. It's that simple!

See my very basic station setup on my QRZ profile. It's a simple appliance setup, and it has given me much much fun for 4 years now. I bought all that stuff after passing my Tech, since HF was my goal and failure in not passing the 5 WPM CW requirement in 2004, or waiting until GOV Dot ORG possibly removed that CW requirement in the future (at that time) was not an option. HF has been a blast since Oct 2004 for me. Get the Extra ticket ASAP too. As a contest junkie, I found not being able to use 1/2 the bands irritating.

So, just DO IT and quit trying to over analyze this HAM RADIO thing. You'll learn a lot just by experimenting, reading and speaking with other HAMS on the air.

Oh - and depending upon what vertical elevation you can achieve with even a basic antenna (as in my antenna), your signal on many bands will travel a lot further than you might think. Radio signal propagation is my favorite part of Ham Radio.

5. N3CRM

N3CRM Ham Member QRZ Page

Best Attic Dipole

I just got my license back after 40 years of absence. I got two 14 gauge wire pieces that are 67.5 feet long. I got 40 feet of 14 gauge 450 ohm ladder line and put them together with a heavy piece of plastic at the junction. I put on my hard hat and entered the attic with a eye screw which at put into the roof at the highest central part of the attic. I then went north with one wire and stapled it to the fartherest roof strut, rapped around it and then went back in the south direction but I went more toward the east roof wall. I went to the fartherest roof strut, stapled it and wrapped around it and then went back north but again closer to the east roof wall but lower in elevation. You get the idea.....I call it a zig-zag dipole.
    I then ran the ladder line down an interior wall into an unstairs bedroom and into an MFJ974H antenna tuner. Coax then into a brand new Yaesu FT-950 transceiver. I grabbed a cold water pipe in the adjacent bathroom with 6 gauge wire and grounded all of the equipment. The night I got the new rig, I worked several american stations on 40 meters- 1000 miles away. The next morning I worked Italy and Slovenia on 17 meters. All with only 100 watts. It is great to be back.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.