HF, VHF and UHF in 2018 Subaru Forester

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by NK7W, Jun 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
  1. NK7W

NK7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone have any experience in running HF, VHF and UHF in a 2018 Subaru Forester? Mine has so many electronic features, that I'm afraid to install and use my radios for fear of frying something in the car. When asked, the manufacture said they, "haven't modified the car that way" (their words) and can't answer my questions.

Thanks,

JD Weiss
    NK7W

2. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

It's my understanding that HF mobile can have noise floor problems, much moreso with hybrid vehicles. You're also looking to cover a lot of spectrum and that will mean some major compromises antenna-wise.

Re: installs in general, manufacturers can't possibly test for all contingencies, so they cover their butts by 'generally not recommending' stuff.

Lastly, you may have better luck looking for radio folks in a Subaru forum than Subaru folks in a radio forum. It may be that there's a GMRS or even CB op out there with the experience you're looking for.. sorry you're not getting answers here. Good luck!

3. W2ZBT

W2ZBT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a FT-8900 and FT-891 in a 2017 Impreza and have had no problems.

Noise on HF isn’t to bad and the only thing I’ve bonded is the hood and the front doors.

4. NK7W

NK7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your response. I used to have the 2017 5 door Impreza, but didn't install my ham radios in it. My 2018 Forester has the "eyesight" cameras and adaptive cruise control, radar for cars in the blind spot and a bunch of other bells and whistles. Where did you put your antennas on the car and what are you using for an HF antenna? Did you drill mount holes for the V/YHF antenna?

5. W2ZBT

W2ZBT Ham Member QRZ Page

The 8900 has a quad band and the 891 has Yaesu’s powered screw driver.

Both are mounted with lip mounts on the hood. One on each side.

KE4RP likes this.