Hf vertical without radials

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG5PNI, Jun 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Honestly I wasn’t referring to the 05.

I was going back to when you keep telling me my end-fed needs radials. The manufacture doesn’t even recommend radials on his end-feds.

One of my good friends knows more about antennas than you’ll ever know. Graduated from CMU has a PhD and designs and builds antennas to listen to space Energy. When he was still in college he invented a yagi that looks like a sine wave which is the most efficient that can be produced.

I spent many hours with him learning. He’s the one Who taught me what all the strange noises we hear on HF are.

He’s a scientist, you’re not and why I can disagree with you. :D

K8XG likes this.
  2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you have any idea what you just posted? Only the voltage distribution on a half wave antenna is sinusoidal, the current across it goes from flat, at 0 and 180 degrees, to a full semi-circle at 90 degrees.

Shaping antenna elements like a sinusoid would not improve performance, about the only thing it might do is save some space. That, and I never heard of any such thing, because if it was that good, we would have been using them at Harris, and in the armed forces and DOD systems. You would see hams using them right now.

N8ZL, W4NNF, KC8VWM and 1 other person like this.
  3. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You response doesn't surprise me at all and why most educated people don't engage.

4. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

...though with one radial/leg, it can be entertaining.

KC8VWM likes this.
  5. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Spider with no legs is a stain.

KA4DPO likes this.
  6. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What science in that old map of ground conductivity did that come from? How was that even possible in that prehistoric age ? Really? I can tell you folks in the Pan handle of FLA have better ground than I do in the 15s shown in that map..

KA4DPO likes this.
  7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Vertical antennas near noise sources ARE noisy. Out in the sticks, quiet as can be.

Choose wisely.

NN4RH and KA4DPO like this.
  8. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

The temptation was great to meme this but I showed restraint since I already used it earlier.

9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Measuring soil permittivity is not new by a long shot. The folks at Princeton and RCA came up with some sensitive measuring techniques it the early 1920's, using radio frequency generators and very sensitive RF volt meters. You would be surprised at how much of our understanding of radio is based on work done in the early 1900's.

NL7W and KC8VWM like this.
  10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Awww!