Hf vertical without radials

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG5PNI, Jun 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow someone who has an open mind!

I have had inverted V’s, Verticals, both ground mounted and up 30 feet. Mini beams, rotatable dipoles, and many different types of homebrew wire antenna. None of them worked as well as what I currently have.

When someone tells me something I know is otherwise, well It just doesn’t sit well with me and why I made those comments.

Nothing is written in concrete. History is full of so-called learned men who said this or that will never work, and they were all very wrong.

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, let's see voice keyers and keyers with memories have been in common use for at least 40 years, and yet here we still are. Huh! :D

3. KE6EE

KE6EE Ham Member QRZ Page

True enough the "ham" in ham has been fading for a long time. It's the combo of faded ham and remote operation that
    provides for near total erasure.

4. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

download.jpeg

KA4DPO, W4NNF, K3EY and 1 other person like this.
  5. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have some notes on my 6BTV install, at:

https://www.nk7z.net/notes-on-tuning-a-6btv/

You will find graphs of performance, as radials were added there as well, as general notes on the antenna. Adding radials made a MAJOR difference in performance.

6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, alrighty then. Voice keyers killed ham radio. Have a nice rest of your day OM. ;)

W4IOA likes this.
  7. WA4KCN

WA4KCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Cushcraft R8. Works great. DX Engineering

8. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And, and the higher the better, 10 feet minimum. I had two R8’s and one R7.

WA4KCN likes this.
  9. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I am guessing here, but.... You are not using a counterpoise with the long wire antenna. If not, that is why it is not working. A counterpoise is necessary with a long wire.

10. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

SOUND ADVICE Charles... Very sound advice. Radials are always necessary. The "no Radials Needed" advertisements are very misleading.

The long wire was not working for him probably because he was not using a counterpoise. Not that a long wire is a good antenna by any means.

John
    K4AGO

KC8VWM likes this.