HF that doesn't need a mortgage loan

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by WF5W, Mar 1, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K8TUS

K8TUS Ham Member QRZ Page

The FT450D really works well and is very easy to use. I think the extrrnal auyo tuner woukd tune up a brick. Radio/power supply/automatic tuner and dipole for just a little over a grand Can't beat it.

KT5WB likes this.
  2. KC1DR

KC1DR Subscriber QRZ Page

Spend some time looking at your antenna options and it is not necessary to try and buy something that covers every band. I have a LNR Quad that works well for me. As far as a radio is concerned, I decided anything I would buy used had to be from someone local so I could see it operate before I purchased it. Ended up with a ICOM 7000 that I am happy with. Added a tuner a year later.

3. KA7RRA

KA7RRA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have 2 great radios the FT-991A and the 450D both are great radios and don't cost that much

4. KE8IWM

KE8IWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I picked up a Yaesu FT-897D with Astron power supply at a hamfest last month for $475. I have a bunch of wire, old external tuner, window line, wire, etc lying around. All in, well under $1K.

5. KT5WB

KT5WB Ham Member QRZ Page

I can relate. I got my General several years ago, but held off setting up on HF due to base station sticker shock. When I found Universal Radio's used listing this got me over the hump. Used Yaesu FT-450AT (not D) for a few hundred bucks, fully tested with a warranty. The warranty was the key piece for me. Starting from nothing I needed confidence that at least the core component was reliable and I could build on.
    Bought a 12v 10A switch mode power supply from amazon for under $15 (I think they're designed for powering LED strips).
    Picked up an MFJ 4:1 balun for about $30.
    Fry's had 25' of RG8x for about $25.
    Antenna wire was 50' spool of 12awg from home depot for under $20.
    Under $600 and I was up and working 20m and 10m.