HF Solid State Amplifier Retail Kits for Beginners

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KD2NOM, Nov 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello,

I'm looking for some community recommendations on a HF Solid State Amplifier Kit that can be purchased with all necessary parts (except possibly for the case). I'm looking for something that covers at least 10 - 80 meters with 250 to 500 watts output from up to 100 watts input.

I was looking over the plans for the 250w solid state amplifier that came with my 2018 ARRL handbook, however the notes state that it is not for the beginner - which I certainly would be.

My goal is not only to have a working HF Amplifier at the end of the project, but to learn about the circuits and components, and construction techniques.

Thank you for your comments.

73, Mark - KD2NOM

2. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

3. N8DAH

N8DAH Ham Member QRZ Page

I would start with a small amp or a few qrp kits to wet your feet. Take a look at the WA2EBY amp as well as rf concepts they have a lot of options but....be warned do your research as the amps on rf concepts are bag of parts and most of them need modding to work "properly".

Also starting with a lower power amp to learn the ropes saves you from a possible life changing accident.

GL

David

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  4. KD2NOM

Wow - thanks Ed!

5. KD2NOM

David,

Great advice - thank you.

73, Mark - KD2NOM

6. K1MMI

K1MMI Ham Member QRZ Page

NJ1S likes this.
  7. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Those are NOT for beginner! They need parts swapped and other work to make them function properly.

8. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. CCI kits are right out of the Application Notes (Good ol' Helge). Other improvements have been done by others to make them work properly. Check out all of the changes on the EB104 amp.

Ed

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Basically, the CCI amps ARE right out of the Moto "Batwing" application notes. Even the engineers there stress that additional filtering will be necessary, especially for LEGAL Amateur operation. So they are only partial kits, need additional filters, switching, etc. and are NOT for rank "newbies." A knowledgeable "Elmer" may be able to help. CCI MAY be able to provide some information as to required filters.

K0UO likes this.
  10. KD8UYQ

KD8UYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Mark,

Earlier this year I built a 600 watt solid state amplifier based on Communication Concepts EB-104 kit. I anticipated a 6 to 8 week project to occupy the winter months. It turned out to be a seven month project to complete and cost a bit over $1,500.0o when everything was said and done. I wouldn't consider the CCI kits beginner kits at all. There is a lot that you have figure out on your own or tap the collective knowledge at this web site.

If you are interested here is the link to my build.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/600-watt-hf-linear-amplifier-project.554685/

DSC_0459.JPG
    DSC_0457.JPG
    STH70433.JPG

DSC_0462.JPG

I am very pleased with its performance and have had no issues with my amplifier since I put it on the air this July. However, If you are looking for something that you can assemble in a couple of weeks, then flip a switch and it all works perfectly. This aint it.

Ripley

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    SWL37632, K0UO, KN4CTD and 2 others like this.