ad: UR5CDX-1

HF radio is amazing even during solar Minimum

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Oct 29, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like my videos inspired other people to preach the same thing. The bands are not dead!!

VE7DXW likes this.
  2. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

This certainly isn't like any past solar min that I remember.

A Total of 9 VP6 qso's between 40 and 10 meters with low power using just CW/SSB and some VP6 RTTY contacts, and best of all not even needing to resort to FT8 for VP6 on any bands is great.

Then there are the weekend openings on 10 meters to places like VP6, KH6, ZL and FK8 along with a multitude of Europeans a V51 and then the 9X also on 20 SSB and numerous ZS's on 18 and 15 meter SSB all with low simple antennas.

VP6 again just using either Phased verticals or low 45 foot high quick installed wire yagis for 40/30meters along with some 2 element Home Brew moxons on 20 to 12 meters at just 22 feet and to top it off my favorite band, a 32 foot high 4 el OWA on 10 meters in a solar minimum and the contacts are still being made.

After 43 years being licensed I can really say that this is one solar min acting unlike any solar min that I can remember, maybe the extra gain is all made up at the other end with the DX having better antennas than past cycles, I don't know but I have zero complaints from me on any HF bands up to 10 meters during this solar min.

VE7DXW and N6SPP like this.
  3. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a picture where it is mounted on my car...
    upload_2018-10-30_13-30-13.png

NG9F and W1YW like this.
  4. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

VE7DXW said: "...mounted on my car..."

That is GREAT! drive to the low noise spot and begin operations.

73 de Ray ..._ ._

VE7DXW likes this.
  5. W2ZF

W2ZF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just avoid passing under bridges!

VE7DXW likes this.
  6. N4JAP

N4JAP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Isn't it funny, how the bands magically "open" during a contest! And the moment the contest is over, poof, not a signal to be heard nor seen on the scope because the band just "closed".

WF7BSR, KT4RK, VE7DXW and 2 others like this.
  7. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I made totally unexpected contact with BG2AUE on 30 meter CW the other day. On a little 6BTV vertical. Even after all these years of hamming, it still amazed me. :)

Freakin' CHINA, man!!!

NG9F and W7TRD like this.
  8. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is my favorite antenna right now - mine is ground mounted with 60 radials - works the whole world.

NG9F and VE7DXW like this.
  9. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Isn't that the truth? I was on 40 meters last night and heard all of one operator and that wasn't for very long. On 80 meters I heard maybe three stations. I was calling for awhile and no response.....Tropical Band SWL Dx'ing on 60 meter band was good though with Radio Roraima , Radio Acreana and other Brasilians coming through good with s7 signals.

VE7DXW likes this.
  10. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the solar info! I worked Aruba, Curacao and Anguilla on 10m the night before the contest. That's my first 10m DX in years. During the contest I worked Japan on 20m. I only have a 40m OCF and about 400w on a good day. I haven't heard Japan in...well, ever from this QTH. It was a good weekend.

K8EL and VE7DXW like this.
  11. N1SFE

N1SFE Ham Member QRZ Page

I casually operated during the contest last weekend. 15 Meters was very active and I made guite a few SSB contacts on 15 on Sunday.

VE7DXW likes this.
  12. K8EL

K8EL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's worth noting that 10 Meters was very active on Saturday. Ohio --> all of South America and Caribbean.
    It would be nice if more people used that band. It's active more than we think.

WF7BSR, KT4RK, G3SEA and 1 other person like this.
  13. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Concur with the good SSB Contest Condx.

Upcoming CW Contests Condx will be interesting :cool:

G3SEA/KH6

VE7DXW likes this.
  14. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

G1- storm predicted for 11/3-11/4 due to Coronal Hole.

VE7DXW likes this.
  15. N3RW

N3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just have to listen a lot.
    VP6D worked, YJ0GC worked, etc from a small station in E PA. No bragging intended.
    Unless there is a solar flare or CME, the HF bands are usually open.
    The 'good' stuff is there if you're patient & listen.
    Rob