HF Propagation where you are?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by M0TNX, Jun 7, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
  1. M0TNX

M0TNX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My location is in the 53 degree north zone (Liverpool, UK) and I often wonder how the guys in lower latitudes see their DX?

At the moment It is a luxury to hear Pacific and West Coast US, JA and Eastern Asia are tricky, bar Thailand which seems fairly straightforward. East coast US stations can vary from in the noise to 559, a VE spotted me the other day but I could hardly hear them, never mind make out their call

For me, VK and ZL are also rare, only heard one VK of late and that was on 40m CW. I appreciate we're coming out of a 'Maunder minimum' sort of thing, but in 41 years of radio, I've not heard band conditions like this.

So - over to the PY/LU/African/Equatorial Ops and anyone else who would like to pass comment, what's your DX like?

My setup is Icom 7300, Cobweb (G3TXQ Version, 20m -4m ) at 33 feet AGL and the ability for 400 Watts if needed.

KO4ESA likes this.
  2. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked Japan today from my Ohio home QTH, first time I have ever done so from this far east (I did work Japan from California, last year on my mobile rig). (100 watts, using a 600 foot delta loop wire.) That tells me that propagation is getting better slowly, although in fits and starts. 73
    Brady

KO4ESA and M0TNX like this.
  3. M0TNX

Hello, Brady!
    Thanks for the reply and info. JA's are tricky to come by here in the UK at the moment, only the strongest/larger stations are heard and it can take a while to work them with a peashooter station like mine.

Had a play the other evening and snared several of the Columbian Special Event stations and a Kenyan station, was using my Club's call (MX0WYR) and was called by a HZ1, always good to hear them!.

Brady, tell me, please, on an average day what do you hear on say, 20m? What is your 'bread and butter' and what latitude are you on the east coast?

Cheers.

Kev

KO4ESA likes this.
  4. LU1XAV

LU1XAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Kev.
    No propagation at all in Argentina. There was a small gap yesterday, but that was it.

PU2OZT and M0TNX like this.
  5. M0TNX

Emanuel!

Hello and thank you for the reply.

I hear strong signals from LU and (especially) PY at the moment - It is always great to hear you guys as you are between 5000 and 8000 Km from me.

When you say no propagation, what bands and what time of day are you referring to, please?

2100 (2000 UTC) local seems to be the best time for me +/- 45 minutes or around 0500z - I only try and see that time of day when I'm at work! This refers to 20/17, I cannot really have an antenna up full time for 30/40/80 let alone 160m

LU1XAV and KO4ESA like this.
  6. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Kevin,
    I am located at 39.9362° N, 84.0255° W, so not really near any coast. On an average day most of the DX I hear is coming in from Central or Western Europe. Today's JE1RZR station was unusual, as I mentioned I have never worked Asia from my home location before (I have worked VK, if you want to call that Asia). In the past week I have stumbled onto a few Russian QSOs, and that is about as far east in Europe as I have gotten in a long time.
    I am 100% CW and haven't been on the air nearly as long as many have (4 years). My station is nothing special, just a IC-7300 and the only notable thing about my station is that I have a very large delta loop (180 meters) up in the trees about 15 meters high (horizontal configuration).
    BTW coincidentally I did work a Columbian SE station (5K48LRB) on June 4th, from here, on 14046.
    Hope this helps! 73
    Brady

7. LU1XAV

LU1XAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm just 2100km North from Antarctica and I asked the other ham's in town and they all agreed that it's tough to listen even other LU's. I've been trying 23:00 to 01:00 (UTC) with no luck (20, 40 and 80m bands).

PU2OZT likes this.
  8. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's nice to know that your signal is at least being heard somewhere !!

This was just a few minutes ago from SW Alabama on 20m cw with 100w & a wire :) on 14042.5 khz @ 2210 LT

● spotter ● spotted freq cq/dx snr speed time seen
    [​IMG] VK4CT [​IMG] W5BIB 14042.4 CW CQ 7 dB 22 wpm 0310z 11 Jun 8 minutes ago
    [​IMG] IK4VET-1 [​IMG] W5BIB 14042.5 CW CQ 7 dB 22 wpm 0310z 11 Jun 8 minutes ago
    Thank goodness for the Reverse Beacon Network

dit dit

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    KD2UHD and M0TNX like this.
  9. M0TNX

Indeed! I’ve only just started using RBN and love it.

KD2UHD and W5BIB like this.
  10. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

Saturdays are my optimistic day, or is it the phase of the moon? No matter. Regardless, "The Terminator Event" as described on SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids for June 12 is encouraging.

If the (less popular) heretical view turns out to be the case, dxers could have more strong sky-wave propagation than you can handle. Yes, strong maxima can be that great! Let's hope so anyway.