ad: M2Ant-1

HF Packet radio

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KO4GA, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KO4GA

KO4GA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all, I've been messing around with packet radio and some of the other modes like psk31, rtty, ect . I've also been on 2 meter packet but haven't been able to do any HF packet. I know the baud rate is 300 but haven't been able to get a program to change from 1200. I can hear the packets on HF sometimes but can't copy anything. Is anyone still doing this or am I wasteing my time.

KO4GA Dave

2. KB1DWB

KB1DWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, the problem is that HF packet no longer exists.
    It has been decertified as a ham radio mode by the
    FCC and the Department of Homeland Security effective
    July 7, 2010.

It is now an exclusive Military mode.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

3. KA1MDA

KA1MDA Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have a link to an official source for this? I tried goolging it, but found references tro FCC decisions as of 2008 refusing to limit the use of packet and winlink on HF. I would like to find a link to clear up the confusion..

Tom, KA1MDA
    www.ka1mda.org

4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It looks like April Fool's day arrived a bit late this year. Past statements from FCC indicate that it is highly unlikely that a widely used amateur mode would ever be outlawed.

Now, HF packet does still exist. I hear it mostly on the high end of 30 meters.
    There are also frequencies in use for HF APRS using packet. I don't think you will find anyone doing keyboard-to-keyboard QSO's there. What is done is primarily automated packet forwarding, which has always been the greatest use for HF packet.

AGWPE should let you do 300 baud with a soundcard.

5. G4ILO

G4ILO Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Say what...?

SOURCE please!

Regards,
    -Bruce

7. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The source was somewhere in the vicinity of his colon.

8. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Feel free to PM me with packet questions. I'm still new at it, but working to rebuild the WNY packet network (IP over AX, aka AXIP), and am looking for an long-haul forwarder :)

I'd be happy to help where I can :D

9. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

I experimented with Packet many years ago, and at one time owned 5 PK-232 units !

The problem that most of us O.T. found was that Packet was TOO agressive for effective HF use. If the packet of information was not received PERFECTLY, the sending station would retry and retry, and RETRY again, until either the receiving station finally did get it right, or the retry count was exceeded, in which case, the link would be dropped.

Some of the more savvy operators fooled around with the various parameters ( there were bunches of them ! ) until they were able to achieve somewhat better thruput, but most just used the defaults, and then gave up after a while.

Packet can be great on a high frequency, noise free band, using high baud rates, but that is NOT the case with typical HF conditions.

The advent of "soundcard digital" protocols that are better suited to the difficulties of HF propagation, have pretty much relegated packet to a VHF/UHF backbone mode. I am surprised to hear that any packet is being used at all on the HF bands!

I have NOT heard that packet has been "decertified" by any government agency! But don't try sending "CQ" with a spark-gap transmitter !

10. G4ILO

G4ILO Ham Member QRZ Page

Rumours of the demise of packet are greatly exaggerated. Packet is still widely used on HF for APRS. It certainly helps that most of the messages in APRS are short so the probability of an error occurring is reduced.

Experiments are also going on with using more modern digital modes such as PSK63 for APRS, although then I suppose it cannot be strictly called packet. SCS has also developed a "robust packet" mode but as this is only implemented by its own hardware TNCs it is not very widely used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.