HF Mobile Rig?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by WB2INY, May 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

What? No touchscreen and menus? How archaic! ;)

But seriously...I count 33 (!) buttons - the majority of which are multifunction - and six rotary controls. That's a pretty "busy" control head front panel, yet deemed perfectly okay to operate while in motion. But make a call on your cellphone and it's a motor vehicle violation for distracted driving. Go figure!

US7IGN likes this.
  2. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know the rules on your side of the pond, but round here the distinction is "push-to-talk" - it was ruled that duplex communication on a cell phone was distracting but simplex communication which required a press of the PTT button was acceptable.

Martin (G8FXC)

3. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I think he is not literally about the law, but about security. By the way, this is the reason why I gave up using not only the phone, but also the radio while driving. Even my wife does not distract me because over the years my reactions get worse, and the number of idiots on the roads only grows ...

4. WN1MB

That's very interesting. Some real thought went into that determination.

On this side of that pond, our rules generally vary from state to state. Cross a certain state line and you can instantly become a criminal or a law abiding citizen.

Your post brought back fond memories of operating QSK CW mobile. I'm curious how an enforcement officer, state prosecuting attorney, and amateur's defense attorney might handle such a scenario? heh!

5. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can find an old FT-900 very easy and fast to use. No menus. And they have a remote head, could have built in tuner.

The 857 is also nice just have your frequencies in memories. Then you dont have to worry about menus.

KD1JT likes this.
  6. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

If buying new (for mobile) I'd probably look at the Icom 7100. I like my 480SAT, but I too believe there are a lot of buttons to fiddle with when driving (of course, you don't always need to). The nice thing about the 480SAT are the Kenwood profiles, which make digging-out a station pretty easy without a lot of fuss.

7. WS9K

WS9K Ham Member QRZ Page

@WN1MB

What mobile HF do you like better ?

buttons are much easier to use than menus

I Love my TS-480HX

8. WN1MB

I like the front panel menu printed radially around a rotary bandswitch. ;)

9. WS9K

WS9K Ham Member QRZ Page

Dude,
    I can't fit a KWM-2A in my toyota

[​IMG]

US7IGN likes this.
  10. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

It's time to take a little bigger toyota)