HF Mobile Install with Linear Actuator and Additional Groundplane

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by W5JD, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5JD

W5JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I purchased a PA-02-6-200 from Progressive Automations, http://progressiveautomations.com/l...oke-size-force-200-lbs-speed-094sec-p-65.html. It has a 6 inch stroke and 200 lb force. It takes about 6 seconds to fully extend or retract and includes built-in limit switches. The only concern I have is that it is only rated to IP54 for surviving the elements.

I have a rocker switch, with center-off position, mounted inside the cab of the pickup. I can even raise or lower the antenna while traveling down the highway, which sometimes generates some strange looks :cool:

2. KE5PPH

KE5PPH Ham Member QRZ Page

You might check the ebay, for some "Shock Boots" several colors to coose from and the silicon type are very soft and can be Zip tied around the assembly. Should keep most weather off the expensive parts.

3. W9CMG

W9CMG Guest

On top of my motorhome, I use an electric window regulator motor (mine is out of a Honda) and, with linkage, I can lower and raise 4 antennas at once. With a DPDT center off switch I can operate it from the drivers seat. After damaging two sets of antennas from trees, low bridges and obstructions, I haven't lost one since. These motors can be bought cheaply at junk yards or off Ebay and are powerful.

4. VE7DQ

VE7DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool! Thanks for the information. 'CMG, can you post a picture of your setup?

5. W5JD

W5JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I second that...pics please!

6. W9CMG

W9CMG Guest

I'll work on it. It will be a few days. Thanks for the interest

7. VE7DQ

VE7DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Have to brush off the snow? :D Mine still has about 6" on it.

Tom

8. W9CMG

W9CMG Guest

Antenna tipping

antenna I 002.JPG antenna I 004.JPG antenna I 005.JPG

I can lower them from drivers seat (cheap 14 ga 100' cord from DPDTCO sw to motor). Cut window arm off regulator and bolt mechanism onto gear. Interstate system guarantees 14'. Springs are left from failed attempt allow them to give. Left PVC is 2 section flag pole and right one is 3 section extendable vertical. Wire in center and choke with radials can be laid down. Still doesn't protect from errant footballs!

9. W5JD

W5JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations, very innovative approach!!! I am impressed by your capability of tilting 4 antennas at once!

10. W0PEB

W0PEB Ham Member QRZ Page

I run a HiQ 4/80 on my semi truck and no matter the how much abuse the roads give it(and I do travel over very rough terrain) salt, very hi winds and such it Will take almost anything you can throw it way. And I do travel some places that bounce you right out of the seat. Besides if they are tough enough for the Marines to use in Afganistan well it should handle any off roading you will do. makes a great product!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.