HF Mobile in a Honda Element

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KF4JHB, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KF4JHB

KF4JHB Guest

Greetings! I am brand new to hf mobile and trying to research antennas/radios and how to do a good install in a 2010 Honda Element. From what I can tell the Breedlove mounts are well made and a lot of people like High Sierra and Tarheel antennas. Has anyone installed these in a Honda Element? As far as radios the Kenwood TS-480SAT has been frequently recommended. I came across K0BG's site which has helped a lot but wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions. 73!

2. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

I did an Element install 3 years ago. The biggest problem is finding a place to mount the antenna. You almost have to use front mounting, especially if you aren't into drilling holes. This also leaves you with a less than stellar efficiency if you go with the Lil Tarheel or Sidekick.

The Element has a 130 amp alternator, so if it were mine, I buy the TS-480Hx. It is almost a poor main's amplifier.

I almost bought an Element, instead of the Ridgeline I did purchase. One of the issues for me was the rear door entry, especially when parallel parked. Interior wise, there is enough room to mount almost any radio, even ones without a remote head. Firewall entry is as easy as any Honda if you know where the hole is.

The only problem you'll encounter that you will not be about to fix, or cure, is the birdies from the on-board busses—all three of them! The DSP will cover most of them up, but they still can be annoying on a quiet band.

Enjoy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.