HF mobile in a Honda CRV

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by N4EYZ, Jan 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N4EYZ

N4EYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've picked up an '01 CRV and have installed an Icom IC-7000. I have run hf mobile for years and for much of that time have used an AH4 tuner with acceptable results. My intention is to use a Hamstick mounted on a plate that will be mounted under the left rear tail light assembly. And fashion a mount directly inside the rear corner somehow to mount the tuner. What suggestions would any make concerning running the lead from tuner output to feed of hamstick? What rf problems might I expect?

Wayne
    n4eyz

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

As I explained before, it is necessary to keep the wiring SHORT! And considering the RF voltage which can be very high, insulating the wire becomes an issue.

I also mentioned using the hamstick. For the resonant frequency, perhaps. But driving say a 40 meter hamstick on twenty is a sure-fire (almost literally) to ruin the hamstick.

3. N4EYZ

You say “as I said before “, are you referring to your website? I sent you an email but never got a response. Just checked my spam folder to be certain i didn’t miss it. So even using the tuner I need to use resonant sticks? I didn’t realize I’d ruin one out of band. But thinking now it makes sense. A lot of reflected power between the stick and tuner. So a whip makes more sense with the tuner.

4. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh! I did answer you, and in detail. The reason you didn't get it, is the fact you have a gmail account. They flag my ISP (plateautel.net) as a sender of spam. They aren't, but Google things so, yet again! I'll ask my ISP to recheck.

Essentially what I said above is what I sent you. You can also go to my web site, and read about AutoCouplers if you need more info..

You can mount the AH4 inside. But it takes a bunch of work to make sure things don't arc over. Under the right conditions, the RF voltage can exceed 10kV! If you do mount the AH4 inside, you really should use a drilled hole mount. Breedlove's unit will work, but you'll need a few coats of HV shellac. You can get the stuff (it is in a spray can) at any big box store or Ace Hardware. Several coats are required, so read the instructions on the can.

If you need more information, send me a phone number, and I'll call you.

5. N4EYZ

Thanks Alan,
    I'm guilty of quickly scanning my spam folder (but not effectively) and apparently deleted it. I clear it out every couple of days or so. I have looked at Breedlove's website and have considered (and still am) their ball mount. I didn't mention this in my email but I also have a Tarheel Jr but have resisted thinking about using it. Maybe a phone conversation would be a good idea. I'll email you my number.

Wayne