HF Mobile Antenna Question

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KE0IHD, Oct 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KE0IHD

KE0IHD Ham Member QRZ Page

I was wondering if there is a or what might be the best HF multi band magnetic MOUNT Antenna for vehicles, I'm looking for a magnetic MOUNT Antenna that I can just throw on the car and go when I travel. Ideas?..suggestions?..

2. AC0GV

AC0GV Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m surprised at no replies. Years ago, people used the multiple magnet mount until they discovered the paint damage they caused.
    QUAD MAG MNT.JPG Tri-Mag 3 8 24.JPG

3. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

...not to mention that electrically they are krap .

4. AC4RD

AC4RD Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you looking for a mag mount, or an antenna to put on a mag mount? I wasn't sure. You'll hear a lot of people trashing mag mounts, and it's true they are not great performers. But if you just want to TRY mobile HF, it's an option. What antenna(s) you're planning to use, or thinking about using, will affect that, too. A mag mount would be OK for something like a 'hamstick' style antenna (that's how I started with mobile HF) but probably not for a screwdriver-style antenna, or not a big one. Probably the best way to get started thinking about this is to check www.k0bg.com; look at the photos, read the articles, start thinking about what you want. Convenience and small size have to be balanced against performance, but if you recognize that and make your decisions based on sound information, you'll have a good start! Have fun! --ken ac4rd

5. KE0IHD

KE0IHD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm looking for ideas as far as antennas and mag MOUNT the whole thing I have no idea what a inexpensive easy to mag MOUNT Antenna would be I'm thinking Han stiks at this point

6. AC4RD

AC4RD Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, great! A hamstick or similar, and a good-sized mag mount, is a fine way to start with mobile HF. Any of the big suppliers can help you, Cheapham, AES, R&L, HRO ... DX Engineering is usually my first choice but I don't know if they carry mag mounts. Look in the MFJ catalog online, they've got several, I think. And if you don't mind buying used gear, you can usually find mag mounts and hamsticks used at hamfests, if you have any near you soon. Start with the MFJ catalog online, then look at the big ham stores I mentioned above, see what choices you have and at what prices. 73 GL! --ken

KE0IHD likes this.
  7. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Generally the cheaper & easier = the less it works ;)
    For HF another general rule is higher & bigger , the higher the farther out you will reach , the bigger the more signal you can gather & transmit .
    I would suggest finding a good used mag-mount [ trick it , used may have issues , with coax etc. ] .
    Then mount center top of car , once you see how well it works / or not , then use a more permeant mount .
    With band conditions / sun-spot cycle what it is these days , you may not want to bother .
    On the low end - ham sticks , mid - Husler https://www.dxengineering.com/search/brand/hustler-antenna ,
    on the high end one of the screw-driver antennas , not to start antenna war , but my choice - http://www.hiqantennas.com/ .
    And a good site for mobile ham radio , he hangs out here , http://www.k0bg.com/ .

8. WA8WTF

WA8WTF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

as an old firefighter I can say we used to use thin cloth to significantly reduce that just wrap the magnets. If they attract rust particles, pull them off shake and reapply.