HF Memories

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by AJ6CU, Jun 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
  1. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

The only use , other than the WWV and CHU freqs, came when 60M was opened to Amateur Radio CW operation .
    So I finally programmed the 5 CW and 5 SSB operating frequencies for 60M into my two radios that have memories.
    My older SSB/CW rig with memories had a bunch of commonly used Marine and AERO ssb channels I programmed to listen to .
    The only other Ham radio I had, with memories, was an old RadioShack 2M FM mobile that had 40 "channels" you could program with simplex freqs or repeater pairs. .

2. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have Gander and NY radio on 10051 kHz !

3. AD7DB

AD7DB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an IC-706MkIIg, and an IC-7000. On HF the memory channels are quite useful.
    I set up a couple of them around 75m so I could quickly get to a particular part of the band just by changing memory channels. You can tune around from that point if you want.
    If you want to get back to the original point, just change the memory channel dial up and back and you're there.
    I put in a couple of places per band, usually. Handy to go quickly to one of the digital frequencies for, say, JT65.
    Yes, I know, there's an up/down Band button but it tends to remember the last frequency you were on within that band. That's useful sometimes, maybe not.
    The nice thing is that you DO have such options.
    If it's an all-mode radio that does 2m/70cm, you can of course set up a few FM repeaters in there.

Lately what I found useful was to set up several 6m frequencies, such as 50.110, 50.125, 50.130, 50.135, 50.140, etc.
    During VHF contests in SSB I can switch between them quickly looking for other stations. I could dial the VFO too but this works quicker and I can still fine-tune them if they're on somewhere in between like 50.127.
    Satellites! Program in the different FM frequencies you'll need for SO-50, AO-85, AO-91 and AO-92.
    Program a few "starting points" for the SSB satellites.

Have fun!
    Dave AD7DB

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I have the 5 SSB and 5 CW operating freqs for 60M set up and also the several frequencies of WWV and CHU, that I use to set my watch and check propagation conditions.

5. N2SUB

N2SUB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, beacons, nets, 60m, broadcast stations, emergency frequencies, calling frequencies, even W1AW for kicks. All good suggestions. If you operate digital modes, you could also program the frequencies for each mode on each band.

The thing is, most rig control software has unlimited memories that are able to be programmed and organized with a few clicks of a mouse. I'm not sure I've ever used the memories on any of my rigs. :)

6. N4MTB

N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have each of the band edges programmed in. Makes contest scanning easy.

7. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some transceivers save mode, preamp, etc. along with the frequency. This makes switching to a CW "watering hole" like SKCC easier than spinning the big knob and playing with panel switches.

But I have to admit that, as a newcomer, I haven't found a lot of uses for memories. Maybe with experience more uses will occur...