ad: k1jek

HF in an RV, power?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by WE8RV, Aug 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
  1. WE8RV

WE8RV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm looking to run my TS480SAT in my class c motorhome and want advice on rather to run thru a power supply or go directly to the battery either home or vehicle.
    Thanks
    Terry
    KE8OF

2. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

When you operate, do you always have AC power available?

If not, I'd run off the house battery. The truck battery is designed for starting, and its life will be shortened by deep cycling. Plus, you always want to save it so that it can start the engine no matter how much operating you did while camped.

Side note: many AC to DC converters in RVs are very noisy at RF. Even when you have AC available, you may want to disconnect it while operating. Do your own evaluation when you have things ready.

KU3X likes this.
  3. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Richard is correct. In fact, inverter/chargers are the worse offenders RFI-wise. And hopefully you don't have a Xantrax?

4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

You may have other reasons for 120v AC. Handy to have available.

Consider running your TS480 on a "buck booster", which takes 12.x volts from your battery and makes 13.8 volts. The rig will be a lot happier.

And, run a separate battery for the rig. Save the motor starting battery.

5. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd wire the rig to the house battery. If your cheap factory RV battery charger makes RFI then replace it with one that doesn't. There's no need to carry around a power supply.
    Most RV battery chargers are cheap, basic, and don't take great care of your batteries. They are designed to keep a light charge on the battery all the time while plugged in; this is how most people "camp" most of the time. If you intend to have a good multi-stage charger to really charge your depleted batteries well you likely should upgrade what's in the RV. I don't know about the RFI characteristics but IOTA chargers are excellent from a quality standpoint. The IQ4 add-on board gives them excellent multi-stage charging ability.

6. KG5UMH

KG5UMH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am going to go straight to the House batteries on mine. I have a multi stage charger on the FSW Inverter that will keep them charged while I have the AC connected. Will carry the power supply "just in case."

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you going to operate from the motor home while "in motion" or only when parked?

If parked without hookups, power supply and onboard generator. If camped with hookups, shore power!

I can think of lots of reasons to not run that rig on battery power unless the engine's running to charge it at the same time.

WA7PRC and K5RCD like this.
  8. W1GHD

W1GHD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

< Photo to the left is my TS480 SAT in the motorhome. The control head goes on a folding table between the front seats; the radio body sits on the floor in front of the driver's seat (yes, plenty of air flow down there for ventilation).

The house battery is right under the slide-out on the drivers side. I made a 10 gauge power cord with alligator clips, which I snake through the seal on the slide-out down to the battery. Coax comes in the same way.

Modern RV converters are quality multi-stage chargers. With all the electronics now found in RVs, dirty DC is a thing of the past.

9. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I run my Kenwood HF and all other radios in my van with a Kenwood power supply and shore power. I do have a power cord to the battery, but I don't use it. Much easier for me to just plug into AC power and then everything works including lights and the HDTV.

Radio_Station_N6QIC_sub_title.jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018