HF equipment for vehicles.

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by DS1PKC, Jun 10, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. DS1PKC

DS1PKC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,
    Please recommend HF HAM equipment and antennas for vehicles.
    Also, please explain the coverage.

Regards,

DS1PKC

2. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

K0UO likes this.
  3. F5VHZ

F5VHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, ive allways used icom 706mk2g's for mobile and marine.
    Ive just finished mounting the fittings to a new car, peugeot 607.
    The removable facia has been mounted on its metal clip that is screwed and glued onto a wedge of hard etherfoam, that is pushed into the small recesse for cards and junk on the bottom of the consul forward of the gear lever (auto).
    No holes have been drilled. It's just a very tight fit. I removed the std car's radio telephone handset to provide a dedicated location for the facia (un clipped) and mic when the car is parked. Just takes 5 sec to reinstall the facia.
    The main body is mounted in the boot, up under the rear parcel shelf or behind the wheel arch is best, providing a short cable run to a rear mounted hf antenna.
    IMG_20200831_123650.jpg

4. F5VHZ

F5VHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Use a 20 meter band antenna, as this band is better for 24 hour open dx. Also the antennas are better performers than the 40 meter thats too compromised.
    I make my own center loaded (Q 300+) coil and overall length 3.75m high antenna but have worked Australia from France with a simple G Whip antenna.
    Also 20 meter antennas work with the vehicles 5 meter "approx" length as a 1/4 wave and load up very well.
    Slight forward facing lobe but that is good (same applies for vhf. Uhf) where you are heading towards the station's direction where the strongest signal is heard. Don't worry on HF its negligible...
    I even work CW mobile with this setup.
    IMG_20200831_183541.jpg

WD5IKX likes this.
  5. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I use to use an IC706 MKIIG and thought it was the best one radio do all for mobile. It died and it was old enough that I decided to make a change to the Kenwood TS480SAT. For me it was a very good choice. For mobile antennas, the Hustler setup is actually a very good choice and perform very well.
    Here's my setup.
    http://www.ku3x.net/hf-mobile

Barry, KU3X

WD5IKX and W1TRY like this.
  6. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

I run an Icom 706MK2G and a Bug Catcher. I typically stay on 20 meters most of the time but I use 40 , 17 and 15 meters as well.
    I like the Icom 706 because it takes up little space on the console and covers HF, 2m and 70cm bands.
    The Bug Catcher was assembled from an old ForTex coil and a home brew mast and a 72" whip. It is BIG but it performs much better than most mobile antennas available.

WD5IKX-mobile install-01.JPG
    WD5IKX Bug Terminator-4-Lbl.jpg

John WD5IKX

KU3X likes this.
  7. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Very impressive mobile setup.
    Barry

WD5IKX likes this.