HF End-Fed Multiband that works well

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KK4NSF, Aug 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a thought ......
    Isn't an endfed with a radial basically an OCF dipole? Albeit with a lop-sided offset.
    ( I do see the OP omitted his.)

Prove me wrong, I'll listen.

2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Morning Rege,
    The W3EDP antenna, like most semi random length antennas, requires a tuner. Being a non-resonant length, it will not tune by itself.

The neon bulb test is easy. All you need to do is add a small pick-up loop to the leads of the bulb.

K0UO likes this.
  3. K4SAV

K4SAV Ham Member QRZ Page

The references you provided don't agree with your statement. Those references say the counterpoise is very important and they don't even discuss radials.

Jerry, K4SAV

4. KK4NSF

You are partially right. As originally constructed, I used a counterpoise, and it worked well. It was only after the counterpoise was accidently cut that it's effectiveness came into question. About Radials.... no they don't mention radials, niether do I.

5. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

What is there to prove? _All_ wire antennas that are not perfectly symmetric are in some sense off center fed. You might have some sort of extremely asymmetrical antenna with the feedpoint very near to the end, but there will be _two_ sides of the antenna at the feedpoint.

Take the most extreme example of some sort of battery powered RF generator with a single wire coming off of the PA, floating in free space. If nothing else the PCB ground plane will be the other 'side' of the antenna.

Jon
    AF7TS

6. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the idea David! One of my favorites areas of ham radio is playing with antennas. If I listened to the "experts" and "gurus" all the time, there would be many occasions that I wouldnt be on the air.
    Im using a half-wave end fed with no counterpoise, 1' rg174 feeline and have to wind the wire out to the proper length for the band I'm on. I know it's all totally wrong according to the experts but Im making contacts and having fun. Also sorry it cost less than 20 bucks!

Have fun!
    Rick N8TGQ

KK4NSF likes this.
  7. KK4NSF

Rick.... I'm with you on that one.
    One thing I've noticed is that some the self appointed "antenna gurus" that post a lot of the criticism here never seem to post any antennas that they themselves have made, don't have any external websites showing their antennas, or have ever published any tests that they themselves have conducted. SO I tend to discount what they say.

BUT to be fair, there are some guys who do post / publish their results. THOSE are the ones I listen to.... and to folks like you who actually take the time to actually build working antennas.

Thanks for the thumbs up!
    Dave
    KK4NSF

8. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

From the other thread:

"For our purposes, the word "counterpoise" is meant to mean a single insulated wire, attached to the ground terminal of the tuner, and then laid directly on the ground."

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  9. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

It's always easier if the neon test is undertaken in Las Vegas. Pick ups are in abundance there, too.

10. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Its rather odd....

The myth of the "all band halfwave end fed" and its many followers.

"But I use a antenna tuner"

"But it doesn't work on band x or band y"

"But it locks up my computer"

"But as I transmit the vswr constantly changes"

"I have never used anothe antenna, but this one's GREAT"

"What kind of ferrites do I need to keep my radio from ________(fill in blank)

"I do not use a counterpoise (well except for the rest of the house wiring)

" I got my ham ticket last year, and this is the only transmitter I have ever operated, but that expert with amost half a century of experence and a couple thousand installs, and even more repairs is full of it"

Odd indeed....

Rege

KF4ZGZ and NH7RO like this.