HF discrete wire antenna - in to huge trees(pictures)

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KF0AGJ, Jun 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KF0AGJ

KF0AGJ Ham Member QRZ Page

https://imgur.com/a/uwgO2Xy
    I have no HOA and trees are on my property but my house is on big intersection and I would like to have antenna to be as discreet as possible. I was thinking wire fed antenna as high as possible and then buried coaxial(50ft long) to my shack in a semibasement.
    I have no problem getting help or renting genie lift but I don't know any hams around who could offer technical expertise. I am willing to spend up to 400$ on this antenna setup. Would like to get as many HF RF as possible but mainly 20, 40m. JS8CALL would be primary mode for now.

Any suggestions for antenna, installation, coax, grounding? Any help appreciated

2. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you post a GoogleMaps aerial view with the distance from house to trees scaled? The distances from house to trees, and tree to tree is what counts. When posting a picture here, you do not have to host it on a 3rd party site... For example, an aerial view of my place:

upload_2020-6-19_6-44-33.png

I show how to use the GoogleMaps measure tool to outline the path of a proposed antenna. I have supports at the three locations, and actually have a wire loop of that shape and length...

Here at QRZ, you have a option of attaching an image full size or as a thumbnail that expands when you click on it... (click on my picture)

Back to your topic: I see a 20m sloping upward wire loop, fed from the house roof-top and visiting the two trees. This will make a coax-fed antenna that hits resonance on 20m, 15m and 10m without any or minimal in-shack tuning....

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  3. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

...ps, I forgot to add, a wire dipole for 40m would be a total of ~67ft, a three sided loop for 40m on up would require a total wire length of about 143 ft (three 47ft legs), and one for 20m on up would require at total wire length of 72ft...

4. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Do a Google maps search on my location. Do you see an antenna? No? There's a full wave 80 meter loop in the street view picture. You can't see it and neither do the neighbors.

AK5B likes this.
  5. KI4IO

KI4IO Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually Gary, I do see your antenna in Google Street view.

Jerry
    KI4IO
    Warrenton, VA

6. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

That's because you're not one of his neighbors.:p:D

7. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

All right, I can concede a bit but. you can see one of the supports, and if you look really, really close you might see a bit of the wires... But for all intents and purposes, its invisible. I really doubt that my neighbors even know that I am on the air...

8. KF0AGJ

thanks I will.
    My question is:
    What wire antenna to use to get the best benefit of large trees? Also, is using tall trees will be more effective (long range js8call contacts with Icom7300) than using attic antenna?

9. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely! We DXers dream of having tall trees! Always think outside of the box, er, attic whenever possible.;)

10. KF0AGJ

I attached google earth pictures. My shack window( would run cables using MFJ-4603 panel next to garage driveway.
    Thanks for all the help guys, I am learning so much everyday.
    I would like to fully realize the potential of such tall trees but I don't know what discrete wirea antenna to choose. what about wind and other possible issues?

Also,
    If I am in a tree hanging HF antenna, should I install VHF/UHF wire antenna too for bigger line of sight and range? Would it help? What antenna model? I have some ebay roll up antennas but I would imagine I would need something more solid.

Attached Files: