HF Bands equivalent to CB 9/Marine 2182 khz

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N5SY, Dec 6, 2017 at 6:02 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is no need for dedicated frequencies or nets!!!

Simply call the strongest station you hear on the band and ask for assistance!

This is more reliable since you know that you have good propagation. No waiting for roll calls to finish, announcements or fumbling to find a station who can hear you and report back to NCS.

Nets have never provided any special knowledge, capability or technical advice. Just a bunch of well meaning guys with lots of time on their hands and nothing to do. It's not like they were professionals with certifications, rescue forces, resources, dedicated phone lines or other radio links etc.

All the net guys are going to do is pick up the phone and call the USCG or police. Any ham can do that for you.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 7:48 PM
    W0PV likes this.
  2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Most of the 40 meter mobile service nets are still there in the daytime. They tend to have much shorter hours than they used to. Back in their heyday, they provided real service to mobile ops, and I still like to listen in if I'm mobile in the daytime. Out west, we had the Western Public Service System on 75 meters after WesCARS shut down on 40. WPSS was still around last time I looked, on 3952 after 6 p.m. local time on the west coast.

146.52 is supposed to fulfill that purpose on two meters. There is a 'wilderness protocol' for stations to monitor .52 on the hour and half hour. I don't know how many people observe that.

3. KD8ZMN

KD8ZMN Ham Member QRZ Page

When did the 40 meter knuckleheads move down 5?

4. WE4E

WE4E Ham Member QRZ Page

2m FM simplex is relatively active around Nashville. If you're passing through, call on 146.415 just about any time. There's generally someone on.

There's also a simplex net that has been meeting twice a week for three years or so. Visit https://146415.net for details.

5. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

This is BS and then some. While you would HOPE any ham would help, the MM nets contain experienced sailors and have dealt with distress calls before. Random Ham Guy might do great or have no clue and call 911 to get medivac from Honduras and have Aunt Ellie at the other end become very confused about if Honduras is north or south of Hooterville and she REALLY won't have clue where latitude 31 north and longitude 51 west is :rolleyes:

6. N5SY

N5SY Ham Member QRZ Page

In the middle of no where during the wee hours this can be a problem.

7. KB4QAA

Huh? How is depending on a single net, on a single frequency any more reliable?

8. KB4QAA

Well there is nothing to support this claim. There is no requirement for nautical experience [nor any other skills or emergency experience] for the MM Net participants.

Even NCS candidates are only required to "show familiarity with Lat/Long" figures and have a directional antenna and amplifier. Nothing else.
    shrug.

9. N5SY

N5SY Ham Member QRZ Page

That is not the question I asked.

Looking at net schedules on the various websites I see very few, read that as none, listed between 1am and 5 am, BTW. Which is not to say that there is not some night owl out there with his radio on while he tinkers away on his current project. In the days I still worked shift work which were before the days of everyone having a cell phone in the pocket, I stayed awake on my days off during the times of my scheduled work hours be that day, evening, or morning watch. The radios were on, monitoring the clubs repeater, 52 simplex, and the local HF chat freqs while I was reading, studying, or melting solder. Others did the same. One of the 24 hour C-store guys (owners BIL) had a station set up in the office behind the check out.

Different times it appears.

10. KB4QAA

I think we jumped tracks in the flow of the conversation.

I was responding to the intervening comments about the importance of the MM Net as a distress service. Please view my comments in that context.

I don't think it is necessary to have dedicated frequencies/nets for emergency assistance "only". I have no argument about just having the radio on nets or freqs for general camaraderie and assistance.