ad: wmr-1

HF Bands equivalent to CB 9/Marine 2182 khz

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N5SY, Dec 6, 2017 at 6:02 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I always depended on a marine vhf radio and cellphone when offshore on the Oregon coast.

As far as 14.313 or the troglodyte on 40m, aren't those national tune up frequencies?

NL7W and KQ0J like this.
  2. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

50 years ago, there used to be nets pretty much 24/7 on 40 meters called East CARS on 7255 KHz LSB, Mid CARS on 7258 KHz and West CARS again on 7255 ? KHz. I used to run East CARS for a few hours on occasion from the club station at NAS Norfolk. Lots of mobiles would check in. Of course, this was years before cell phones.
    Tom WA4ILH

NL7W likes this.
  3. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Try calling for help on 11243, 9027.

4. KQ0J

KQ0J Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing I would submit for the Ops complaining about a lack of contacts on 2M Simplex and repeaters. In my last location I monitored 146.52 and other frequencies all day and a part of the night - I had a good station right off the interstate with a range of about 50 miles to a mobile station. I did talk to many mobiles passing through that commented on the lack of simplex contacts. One thing I found in talking to other hams is many scan 2M but also have a lot of frequencies programmed - as now I am scanning 50 frequencies on 2M FM - including 5 simplex frequencies. If you know how scanning works , and how repeaters ID , are kerchunked and trip now and then , with that many stops it can take a bit ot time for me to get all the way around the freqs.

Some good tips for guys looking for 2M FM contacts:

1. Put out a decent signal. An HT in the car or connected to a 1/4 wave mag mount isn't gonna cut it. A well installed and adjusted 5/8 W antenna and 50 or more Watts output will give you some decent coverage.

2. Make long transmissions. Saying "KQ0J listening 52 " has a very rare chance of hitting peoples scanning. Hold your mike key down for 5 seconds or so till you talk, then speak slowly and CLEARLY - give your call with and without phonetics. Say it again a few minutes later. Repeat.

3. Announce the purpose of your transmission. Saying "KQ0J listening 52 " has a very rare chance of a reply - listening for what? If you are looking for a contact - say so !
    "KQ0J listening on XXXX, I am passing through the area, anyone around for a short contact ? This is KQ0J listening "

( Always announce the frequency you are listening on - when I am scanning all these repeaters and simplex freqs, by the time I can look at the rig and grab the mic its already scanning again and I have no idea where you are so I can call you! )

NL7W likes this.
  5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Florida is full of action on the 2M FM simplex channels. I have a low 5 el yagi pointed toward Tampa Bay, monitor 146.52, and regularly intercept blind calls of mobiles on I-75 / 275. Topping the Sunshine Skyway bridge is a fav spot for them to call out. Also a fair amount of aeronautical-mobile action too.

On HF when I am out and about its 14300 khz for a signal check and general monitoring especially during the day when the prop is limited and not many others OTA.

On the lower bands MIDCARS is the equivalent on 40m as WA4LIH wrote. Also check the frequencies where the daily ARRL NTS State or Section nets are held. Usually there are a few guys that are butt-hanging there long before and after a net session even during the day:

TX Traffic Net 3.873 Mhz

http://www.arrl.org/arrl-net-directory-search

NL7W and KQ0J like this.
  6. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 146.52 on when I am on my boat. In the Annapolis area contacts are quite rare. I can easily spend 3-4 days sailing and here nothing.

7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ahh yes....old Wescars. That wobbles a few nostalgia follicles. There WERE some mighty powerful 40 meter mobile stations there. Leant myself a thing or two about mobile antennas, as well.

8. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KQ0J

KQ0J Ham Member QRZ Page

W0PV : "Florida is full of action on the 2M FM simplex channels. I have a low 5 el yagi pointed toward Tampa Bay, monitor 146.52,"

I will have to give you a shout some time I am north of you about 20 Miles...

W0PV likes this.
  10. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm aware of that; however, Region 2 doesn't seem to have promulgated anything like this Region 1 frequency list. Furthermore, HF can have a global reach...