ad: elecraft

HF Bands equivalent to CB 9/Marine 2182 khz

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N5SY, Dec 6, 2017 at 6:02 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

GMDSS is still in a state of flux. It will be a great system if they ever get it finished. I've been working with W5YI and the gang just to figure out the current rules.

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is, but I know of precisely one other ham besides myself who ever listens to it.
    Eric

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny..

4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

No doubt. Every few years, I see a USCG announcement saying, essentially, "we aren't monitoring this well-known maritime frequency anymore..." The trend appears to be (unsurprisingly) away from voice, in favor of DSC.

5. N5SY

N5SY Ham Member QRZ Page

14.313 has been deprogrammed from all my radios.

Don't hear much on 7195 anymore. Perhaps the radios are self censoring that one also.

Over the 10k+ miles traveled in the past few years I have had three contacts on 146.52 All three in the wee hours with other drivers. Calling on the repeaters seems to be like fishing without bait. Once in a great while you may catch one by accident but most of the time your hook is ignored.

Hence the question about HF.

KK5JY likes this.
  6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

My experience, as well. Not long ago, I called several times over an hour or so on a repeater with fantastic coverage over a wide metro area -- nothing.

20y ago, I had a lot of fun building and setting up FM repeaters. Those days are long gone, just like packet.

7. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

That's my experience, too! 53000 miles in 3 years, less than a dozen QSOs on 146.520. one QSO on 446.000.

I think the new VHF contest rules allowing QSOs on calling frequencies is a good thing. Get some activity twice a year. And I'm hearing newbies jumping in there, that's good too.

8. KA7RRA

KA7RRA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have driven from Everett to Dayton since 2012 and I have had a lot of contacts on 146.52 and other reapeters

AF7XT likes this.
  9. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

The GMDSS was specifically designed to do away with the manpower-expensive aural watches on both Morse and voice frequencies.
    The full implementation, which would also do away with the bridge watch on VHF Ch 16, does however remain to be seen.

Any status of a frequency as a "distress frequency" is governed by a multi-step procedure;

1. The frequency must be identified as a "distress frequency" in the Article 5 frequency table of the ITU-RR
    2. There must be operational procedures agreed on internationally
    3. The distress frequency status must be carried on into regional and national regulations and procedures
    4. In case of shore or land-based watchkeeping , there must be systems designed and implemented for monitoring and handling distress calls and any subsequent communications
    5. All these measures have to be documented and filed with the relevant Authorities, in the maritime case to the IMO for inclusion in the GMDSS Master Plan, in the aeronautical case to the ICAO.

To my knowledge, there exist no similar cases or procedures for fixed or land-mobile distress operations.

The closest that I can recall was the incident in 1973 when the Icelandic coast station Vestmannaeyjar Radio TFV found itself
    threatened by lava streams from a volcanic eruption and called SOS on 500 kHz and Mayday on 2182 kHz.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

NL7W likes this.
  10. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Last time I needed to do an SSB comm check on 2182, I had to call the CG on Ch 16 and ask them to listen to the SSB. I was only 10 miles away from them too :rolleyes:
    I would say DSC is *the* way to get attention now on marine SSB. For hams, 14.300 is the closest thing we'll ever have to a dedicated distress frequency.

NL7W likes this.