ad: M2Ant-1

HF Bands equivalent to CB 9/Marine 2182 khz

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N5SY, Dec 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. N5SY

N5SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Way back in the dark ages when I first was licensed the area i inhabited 75/40 frequencies that were the unofficial “watch” frequencies where you parked when you were not actively engaged in other activities. They were well known and usually monitored round the clock. If you had need of help you could go to one of them, make a call, and someone would reply. Have repeaters and cell phone replaced this practice or are there areas of the country that still do this?

NE3R likes this.
  2. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

IARU Region 1 lists several frequencies as "Emergency Center of Activity." https://www.iaru-r1.org/index.php/spectrum-and-band-plans/hf

3. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello, N5 Strawberry Yogurt!

4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are referring (by the 2182 KHz reference) to marine RCC, satphones and EPIRBs have proven to be far more reliable. In an emergency offshore, ham radio would be my last choice and only if the others failed (which they don't).
    Only one boat (ours) in the last Newport -Bermuda race carried an HF ham radio.

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In Alaska, the 'de facto" watch frequency is 3920. An alternate is 14292. Just by tradition, not by edict.
    Eric

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the thing about use of ham radio for emergencies. There are no designated emergency calling frequencies.

When you read Subpart E of Part 97, it's apparent (at least to me) why FCC didn't allocate emergency ham freq's for the US. But because of that, there are no equivalent frequencies to the GMDSS watch frequencies, or CB Channel 9.

In other news, I believe the only active watch frequencies on GMDSS bands these days are those allocated to DSC. I don't think there are any USCG watches on voice-only channels anymore.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

To a large extent, VHF-UHF FM ops have replaced this and there are dedicated "calling frequencies" that are widely monitored.

On 20m, the "Maritime Net" on 14.300 is pretty much 24/7/365 and usually monitored all over the place but if there's no 20m propagation, then you won't hear anything.:p

8. WE4E

WE4E Ham Member QRZ Page

Is 5617.5 still a valid emergency frequency up there?

9. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10. KB9UWU

KB9UWU Ham Member QRZ Page

7195 and 14313