HF Antennas; new design, very small vertical but big on performance.

Discussion in 'Ham Made Gear' started by N4ISF, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N4ISF

N4ISF Ham Member QRZ Page

Very small but exceptionally efficient, great for portable or apartment use, or anywhere. It's hard to believe how good they work, testing is showing 2 db gain over half wave dipole.

Tom KE4LH is the developer, but since his situation is not yet settled enough for him to build them. Traveling, family issues, etc. I am setting up to do it until he can get back.

website; http://minimaxantennas.com/

Tom is not where he can update the website for selling them, (on the road and his laptop power supply has failed) but he gave me an e-mail off his website.
    (sales at minimaxantennas.com) They will all be something under $100 ea. with a satisfaction guarantee. I will add up my expense and call Tom tomorrow to discuss what he thinks they should be priced at. I can do paypal or whatever else by way of my snail addy.

I can take a few orders but if I get more than a few at a time I will have trouble keeping up. (Based on what Tom has been telling me, I suspect if hams know how well they work I'd get swamped with orders) Been collecting parts. I just got a 40M version built, tomorrow I'll put together an 80M version and try to get some dipoles hung to compare performance for myself. I have been virtually out of the radio scene for some years except for doing maintenance for a nonprofit broadcast FM station. But Toms new antenna and need of help to build it has revived my interest. This evening I was pulling my rolled up 20+ year old 80 M dipole out of the shed that I made from some heavy gauge electrical wire, and looking around the shop, spotted enough very heavy copper wire for a 40 M. I don't have an HF rig at the moment but one should be here in a few days. In the mean time I'll plug them into my old HQ145X receiver and see what difference I can hear. (long ago I used the hammerlund with a heath TX1 transmitter on CW,)
    Reuben----N4ISF

2. WV6U

WV6U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From the website "the actual antenna itself is only 9 inches". Will be really interesting to see performance figures on this one ;)

3. N4ISF

N4ISF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, I will do that as soon as I get things set up here, and figure out how WSPRnet works.
    Pricing is there, and ordering info is getting put on the website probably today. We know the performance is phenomenal for it's size and it's outperforming an HF dipole and a 1/4 wave groundplane on 2M by a good margin, ( I don't have the VHF analyzer yet, so won't be building VHF versions till I do) I'm using an Autek VA1 and 30 MHz scope for tuning them.

4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Several club members have used them on their RVs with mixed results using a 100-watt rig. My fishing pole 20m vertical mounted about 6 feet off the ground seems to be more efficient though -- central Texas to France on 2.5 watts with PSK31. Another club member built one for an island activation and he was pleased as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.