ad: Schulman-1

HF antenna suggestions for a houseboat

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KM6ZQV, Aug 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Or navigating under bridges...

K9MRD likes this.
  2. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K2CAJ likes this.
  3. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What about that flat roof? Maybe a ground screen could possibly work as a ground? wire mesh fixed to roof .. vertical antenna might work .....Seen those copper mesh screens before on verticals in the yard.

4. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi,

Just another thought: a trapped dipole for 20m and 40m would be close to 45 feet in length. Why not bracket a 20' mast on either end of the house, and just stretch something like this as a flat-top at 20'? Then use a tuner for 10m.

Alternately, you could use 2 end masts to hold up a 45' length of wire with ladder line down to a tuner. Depending on your houseboat, raising and lowering two supports at the ends may be easier than raising one in the middle on the roof.

5. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is the entire boat fiberglass or does it have a steel or aluminum frame and aluminum pontoons? If the later you have a better ground plane than most mobile installations and something like a Hustler 5BTV might work very well. Otherwise you can add wires or sheet metal to the roof for a ground plane. If this would work for your situation the hustler or even a screwdriver might do the trick.

However, for now, while your just getting starting keeping it simple might be the best approach. You can always add or change thing as your experience grows.

NH7RO likes this.
  6. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

While I'd opt for a vertical solution myself, what about a variation on Scott's idea above: A fan dipole with the 40m element oriented as an inverted U? The ends would only be vertical for about 10-12 feet and the whole thing wouldn't require a single trap or coil.

K2CAJ likes this.
  7. M0IVK

M0IVK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to declare a vested interest but the Pro Antennas I-Pro Traveller would be ideal for your requirement. It is a compact centre fed, vertical dipole and requires no grounding or radials. It covers 10-20m standard with a 30-40m option. Band selection is via a central plug/socket arrangement and no ATU is required.

NH7RO likes this.
  8. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Great suggestion but why not go the whole hog and recommend the I-Pro Home version---I bet that thing really rocks!

M0IVK likes this.