ad: vanity

HF antenna suggestions for a houseboat

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KM6ZQV, Aug 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM6ZQV

KM6ZQV Ham Member QRZ Page

I dont have pictures on me right now, but will take some over the weekend. Flat roof, 47 foot end to end so probably about 43 foot of roof.

2. KM6ZQV

That is correct with a fiberglass hull I have few options. Could a Hustler 4-BTV or a 5-BTV work?

3. KM6ZQV

I would like to be able to do 10, 20 and 40.

4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

My recommendation would be to look at a Magnetic Loop Antenna. They don't require a ground; will work great at your 2oft height, and are easily adaptable for 10,20, and 40m.
    i've used one for a number of years as my "limited space" antenna, on the back deck while vacationing, and on the bow of a tug boat going up the Mississippi River. My current Mag-Loop folds up like an umbrella for ease of storage, and covers 80-40-20m with ease. If you do a search here on QRZ, you'll find quite a few folks who can help you build a good one.

Dave
    KK4NSF

5. KM6ZQV

I have never used a mag loop antenna but have watched many videos on it and it is part of my consideration, but as far as I understand you have to be close to the loop to tune it properly, please correct me if I am wrong. Very much a newbie

6. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

it depends on your loop. Many of them have small motors that drive the cap for remote tuning, while others (like mine) are tuned manually.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, making a remote controller is not too difficult. I've got one about half built now.... from plans found here:
    https://www.rylwy.com/diy-magnetic-loop
    The guy who posted it is on QRZ, and is great to talk to. He participated in a thread I posted on Tuning Mag Loops, here:
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?th...to-tune-mag-loop-antenna.668169/#post-5155691

7. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

See my post #15 in the "Limited Space Antenna for HF" thread for an example that'll give you an idea---the one I'm showing there would be great for 20 & 40 meters. One a little smaller (@33-38" diameter instead of 63") would be suitable for 10-20 meters.

Be aware that the higher bands (above 20m) are pretty dead these days and will be for a few more years---we're in the solar minimum doldrums of Cycle 24 now---so 20, 30, 40, 60, 75/80 will be one's best bet for regular dx activity. This is why I would recommend starting out on 20m or 20/40m to have the most fun for the most part until things pick up again.

Jeff

KK4NSF likes this.
  8. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With a 45' span and the ability to raise a 20'ish mast in the middle, you could just put up a doublet in inverted-V form, and give it a length between 50 and 60 feet; with the right length and the right ladder line it should tune well on all of those bands. It would also be a very simple antenna and easy to raise and lower.

WA8FOZ and NH7RO like this.
  9. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Having done quite a few marine SSB / ham installs a screwdriver antenna on a long base mast (Fed & insulated from ground) will do good with copper foil on the inner hull. Copper wire will do.
    Now, there's the whole "Ground it all or not on a boat" issue.... I prefer everything bonded to a porous bronze electrode for central grounding.

If on salt water, you will have a bunch of fun.

Ed

K7TRF and NH7RO like this.
  10. K9MRD

K9MRD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Remember to lower the antenna before backing into your slip! Don’t ask me how I know.