Wanted HF AMP

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by K7HN, May 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7HN

K7HN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello, I am a permanently disabled retired youth pastor that takes care of a mentally disabled brother was stage 4 cancer. I
    Sold off my quality DX radios just to buy my ham gear. I’m blessed to run a wonderful dipole that is doing very well and has reached from Oregon all the way to the East Coast. My problem is, I’ve always had a dream to work other countries.

Do you have an HF amplifier that is in working order just sitting around? I need to be able to purchase one at a reasonable price and I don’t need one that is at full “legal limit.” 500 W to 600 W would be a big blessing and it would mean the absolute world to me as a new ham.

I waited so long to get on the air and now I just want to reach out to the rest of the world.

Thanks for reading,

Larry
    AG7UM
    Proberbs356@me.com (spelled correctly)

2. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you define "reasonable price?" How much do you want to spend?

3. K7HN

I have $200 to spend now. If my excellent like new condition Grundig 800 Satillit sells on eBay for what I believe it’s worth that would bring me to about $400. My wife lost her job last month so I’m selling what i have left to make this a reality.

Then, on Thursday, as I was opening my window where my ham radio as I snapped my right biceps tendon. I never mentioned that in the original ad because I can’t believe anyone could possibly believe all the stuff that’s happening to us right now.

Blessings,

Larry

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Why not just run 100 watts until you save the cash? I've been a ham 43 years and never once run an amp but have W.A.S., DXCC, etc. etc. etc.

Not trying to be "a discussion in the swapmeet" just offering some advice since you seem to be struggling - 100 watts will work the world if you have a decent antenna

Dave
    W7UUU

K7MD and N9TSL like this.
  5. K7HN

Thanks Dave, I do appreciate your advice. I just believe that there’s a need for the amp right now and it will make a great difference. I do so much appreciate your time and advice though my friend.

Blessings,

Larry

W7UUU likes this.
  6. W5YAG

W5YAG Ham Member QRZ Page

If you save up around 500 to 600 you should be able to get a 811h used in good condition. Keep in mind you might have to upgrade your antenna tuner as well if you use one.

W7UUU likes this.
  7. N7IBC

N7IBC Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you tried digital modes, using your radio and computer if your aware of them.

It could depend on your radio.

Worldwide contacts with under 100 watts.

W2JKT likes this.
  8. K7HN

Thanks Dave. Would my antenna tuner work in my IC7300 or would I need a new one for the amplifier?

9. K7HN

I would like to thank all the very kind people from the Hamp community who have responded to this. I suppose many of us have been at the point where we say we would just like to have a little more power out there. As I said, I’m very new to ham radio.

I’ll be going to my first swap meet in June can anyone provide me with any tips to ask an individual about their amplifier? I like what Dave said about saving up I have two radios left that are top-of-the-line DX radios which I could sell but were the last I wanted to part with. Both have both boxes. Grundig 800 Millennium but buy a ham and used only about a week or so then put back in the box. The other, a Sony ICF 2010 both boxes very late serial number completely gone through nearly all docs.

I was thinking about selling both which should give me right about $800. Both have been gone through by Vlado Karamakov of HamRadio.repair. Just not sure if it’s worth parting with these because they’re so rare in their condition and really hard to replace.

10. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow someone else knows Vlado. He's local-ish to me so I have had him go through a bunch of my radios. He's a cool guy too and has had a lot of experiences to hear about.

The kinds of questions you want to ask about an amplifier are:

1) How old are the tubes - they degrade over time and put out less power.
    2) Has anything ever arced?
    3) Any modifications?
    4) What voltage is it wired for (120 or 240) and does it have taps for 110, 220, and other AC voltages that might be more appropriate for your location

There isn't much to a tube amplifier, but because they have a couple thousand volts in them, things can go wrong, and there's some significant energy there to break things.

One thing you will want to also consider is a tuner. Most amps can tune a well-matched antenna (maybe 2:1 or less) but beyond that you'll want a tuner. A used tuner that can do a kilowatt can be had for maybe 100-200 bucks.

11. QRZ
    Important Rules
    Have you read the Swapmeet Rules?

This forum enforces a set of buying/selling rules for the benefit of all users. Make sure that you're familiar with the rules before posting or replying in this area. Got questons? Contact our moderation team here...

All Sellers Must Be Verified As of July 1, 2019, only Verified Users are permitted to post in this forum.