ad: vanity

HF “blackout” today

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K3PI, Jul 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K3PI

K3PI Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, did anyone else just experience that?

40 meters just dropped out completely for 15-20 minutes (approx 1430 UTC on July 3). Totally.

My understanding is that the other HF bands did as well. Starting to hear others chat about it.

Very slowly recovering.

I’ve only heard this once before like this is in 50 years.

Russ K3Pi

W4LJ, N5AF, KA4DPO and 2 others like this.
  2. KC1GTK

KC1GTK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes I thought my 7300 had croaked, still not back to normal here in NH

KO4BCN and K3EFS like this.
  3. K3EFS

K3EFS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here man. Started freaking out lol

KO4BCN likes this.
  4. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

SID caused by below.

CME IMPACT POSSIBLE THIS WEEKEND: A minor coronal mass ejection (CME) is expected to hit Earth this weekend. It left the sun on June 29th, propelled toward us by a B7-class solar flare.The impact will probably be too weak to cause a geomagnetic storm, but high-latitude auroras are likely on July 3rd or 4th. Aurora alerts: SMS Text.

KO4PYL, KB2SMS, N3AWS and 1 other person like this.
  5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Same on 20. The bands are back now, but noisy. Yeah...enough to make you think your receiver went south. :D

One of the minuses of an active Sun.

N3AWS likes this.
  6. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

upload_2021-7-3_11-3-13.png

KB2SMS, N0TZU and N5AF like this.
  7. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was working FT8 on 17M and it went dead for a while - that Class M flare did it.

8. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Was on AM on 3.885 with guys 30+ over 9 and in an instant they were S8, barely readable. Went to 40m and it was a dead flat line.

Craziest blackout I've ever experienced first hand, was about 10:30AM EDT here.

I thought I lost a TX/RX relay or something.

KG2RG and W4NNF like this.
  9. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's the reason: Take a look at the X-ray flux graph at the bottom left corner of https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/ . It was a solar flare; more may well occur.

Notice also the orange indicator at the top of the page; that indicates (as I write) an R3 (strong) radio blackout.

W4LJ and N5AF like this.
  10. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I observed the same thing here! I thought the receiver was dying.

Listening to a roundtable group on 75m that also has a internet chat setup with listeners using remote SDR's. I watched a guy running a kilowatt who was S9+ on me fade to nothing. He's about 125 miles distant.

The SDR group started asking in the internet chat what happened to the signals. I knew then it wasn't my rig.

The "fade" corresponds to the peak around 14:30UTC shown in the attached graphic.

hfblackout.jpg

KO4PYL, W4LJ and WN1MB like this.