Hey HAMS! How many of you have children that you want to introduce to our hobby?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN6IIH, Feb 14, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N5TJD

N5TJD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Its kinda tricky. Radio isn't exactly for everyone, but homebrew, kits, programming etc, could yield a wider net, and have radio be included. It would at least expose it as an additional avenue of interest to kids already interested in homebrew electronics, because, in all honesty, trying to interest kids by simply making the argument that you can use radio to talk all over the world doesn't raise the eyebrows now in the age of cell phones and internet. Not trying to disuade you, but maybe give you some ideas or at least a perspective. I definitely do see a resurgence of the builder/maker mentality. Especially now with affordable microcontroller systems, modules, 3d printing etc. Being smart and tech savvy isn't a "uncool" thing any more.

As for my kids, I expose them to it, and they have a passing interest, but I don't force it on them. They are usually glad to help be with stuff, but I double any of them would be interested in getting their license, and thats ok.

2. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

welcome to the hobby - it's a lot of fun and helps build confidence and knowledge in many subjects.

Like many others, I came into the hobby young (13) and even then there werent many young hams so not a lot in common with the older folks. Over the years I've met many young hams - some stick around and some dont - those late teen / college years are where we lose most of them.

I think it would be cool though if you could somehow gather up all those young hams and create a group - depends on how serious you are but the ARRL could help you with demographics - heck even a Facebook group -- wait, kids these days dont use FB, do they? -- well, get some group together on whatever platform you use.. maybe create a ham radio tik tok video (ewww :eek:)

3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"You can lead a horse to water." My son was, like my brother, never going to be interested in anything remotely technical. Now, I still have hopes for my daughter. But...usually it is best not to be too pushy with it unless you see the signs of an incipient ham-bug infection already. :)

ITAL7 likes this.
  4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I sure noticed! I think I'm gonna defrost some more of that Christmas ham for lunch!

WZ7U likes this.
  5. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I tried to get my son interested when he was in his early teens and he just regarded it as strange. His daughter - my one year old granddaughter - is fascinated by the shack at the moment, but as far as she is concerned it is just a lot of flashing lights and a Morse key that makes a beep when she taps it... I have to say that when I allowed her to touch the controls, she got it into such a state that it took me a couple of hours to get everything running again afterwards!

Martin (G8FXC)

N1VAU likes this.
  6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a complicated rig you have there.

7. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

She found modes and functions I never knew it had! I had to get the manual out to understand what she had done...

Martin (G8FXC)

8. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Need more people to get their HAM.

Cuuuuuuuuuuuuue ess ell!!

9. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

QSL!

10. VE4CY

VE4CY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is QRZ's Ham Radio Discussion forum.. (As below)

Perhaps they should add a HAM Radio Discussion Forum too for all the HAM radio operators. :)

ham.jpg

W3SY likes this.