Hey HAMS! How many of you have children that you want to introduce to our hobby?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN6IIH, Feb 14, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KN6IIH

KN6IIH Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a teenager who recently obtained my General license, and I'm thinking about starting a youth net in the future, primarily to keep us teen HAMS active and involved in the Amateur Radio community.

I've already looked into ways of bringing licensed teenagers into my net, but I think it would be a great idea if my net could reach out to children who don't necessarily have an interest (yet) in the hobby or even people who have parents that are radio operators, but view HAM radio as an activity for people not of their age group.

So, please respond to this forum post if any of you have children or family members whom you think would benefit from, say, joining my net as a 3rd-party and getting to listen to licensed, teenage HAMs share their experiences! Having personally been one of those kids just months ago, I think my decision to get a license would have been greatly accelerated if I had gotten that experience.

KN6IIH

N1VAU likes this.
  2. KN6IIH

Hopefully y'all figured out what I was trying to convey in the title lol. I can't figure out how to edit that.

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

The HAMS part of the title will be the only thing to get noticed by the usual suspects.
    Otherwise, an outstanding idea!

K8BZ and KN6IIH like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

What do you want the title to say? Type it here and I can change it for you

Dave
    W7UUU

WA9SVD and WZ7U like this.
  5. W0MSN

W0MSN Ham Member QRZ Page

Great post and it’s so nice to see new young hams coming onboard. My daughter is 25 now and got licensed when she was 11 so I can’t help you with recruits but I think your idea is fantastic!

N1VAU and KN6IIH like this.
  6. KC3PBI

KC3PBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I just had a kid 2 weeks ago. I definitely want her to learn from my hobby even if she doesn't directly adopt it for herself. I am really digging the idea of learning CW myself by teaching it to her while she's young...

N1VAU, HA2ZB and KN6IIH like this.
  7. KN6IIH

Hey HAMS! How many of you have children that you want to introduce to our hobby?

Thank you!

8. KN6IIH

I think that's a great idea! Just like languages, I'm sure she'll pick it up extremely quickly and remember it for the rest of her life.

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Done

Dave
    W7UUU

KN6IIH likes this.
  10. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't do that. Not all caps. It triggers some of us. And not in a good way.

Other than that, good luck on your endeavor.

WS4JM and KS2G like this.