ad: elecraft

Hey Girls Please Post - What got you into amateur radio?

Discussion in 'The YL Zone' started by K3JEN, Nov 1, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KO4ESA

KO4ESA Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent. Congratulations on the completion of the Extra license.

2. KO4ESA

KO4ESA Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations on all your accomplishments. May you prosper in everything you do.

3. AI5DL

AI5DL Ham Member QRZ Page

it pays to be young. when you are old like me it takes you longer to process things. congrats on getting all three done in such a short time. I had to take way more tests than that to get my extra!!!

KO4ESA likes this.
  4. KF0FQL

KF0FQL Ham Member QRZ Page

This is on my bio page, so I'll post here:

I got in to amateur radio because I didn't want to go to jail! True Story!

I purchased a BaoFeng 8w radio about 3 years ago to use as a scanner to listen to railroad frequencies. A few railfans mentioned that it was illegal for me to use this radio. I carried it for a while, always hiding it from view for fear of getting in trouble from the police for having it. After a while hiding got tiresome, so I put it in a drawer and forgot about it. Fast forward to the beginning of 2021 when I desperately wanted to watch trains and hear the chatter on the frequencies. So, I decided ok.. I'll try to see if I can learn this ham stuff and get a license. About a month into studying, I find out from a ham radio forum that it's not illegal for me to have the radio, only illegal to transmit. Well, by this point I had already seen all the things you can do on ham radio and I really was interested so I just kept going. I got my Technicians license in May of 2021, and I have been on the air several times a week checking on nets, trying simplex and just trying to be out there making contacts.

WD4ELG and KO4ESA like this.
  5. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One way to get into Ham Radio... You should use that Technician to get yourself on 6M and work some DX. A nice compact 3 element Yagi on a tripod with TV rotor. Modern HF transceivers all have 6m in them these days. Oh just a little ditty when my family moved back to the North Country from the Jersey Coast in 1962 we move to 40th and Oregon in New Hope for 5 years where I walked uphill to school in both directions with the daily average temps of -20 degrees F with high wind always in my face and constant Mosquito attacks. In 67 We moved to 38th and Boone where we lived until after my first year at the "U" in 74... So I'd have to say Your stomping ground was my stomping ground in the day. Don't get trapped on 2 meter FM, real antennas are horizontal, have a lot of elements and talk all over the country with them... lowresan.jpg

6. KF0FQL

Actually I have found myself sucked into working Satellites and am hard core hooked. So for now I'm happy to be on 2m FM, but soon i'll be able to use 2m SSB so I can do linear satellites which I hear are even more fun!

It's nice to meet someone from my neighborhood stomping ground. The walks to school and the temps and mosquitos were the same for me during my school years. (I'm guessing that you were a Hawk? Or were you lucky enough to still be a Robbin? My husband is a Hawk, and I'm a Falcon.) Now it's just shovel heavy snow and lay in bed for 3 days with agonizing back pain. LOL Not super fond of the winters but spring summer and fall keep me here (except for this year like everyone else just yuck).

W0PV and KO4ESA like this.
  7. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Drop me an email, no reason to discuss all that jazz on this forum, has nothing to do with radio. Erika DD

KO4ESA likes this.
  8. KF0FQL

My apologies.

K0DD likes this.
  9. K4BAX

K4BAX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It was two fold for me, first off was listening to shortwave on my great grandmothers old sears TrueTone console radio (It still works and I have it btw). When I was little and heard someone speaking in Russian or what I thought was Chinese I used to imagine I was hearing some super secret spies talking to each other. It was probably just some guy giving a weather report, but it was a lot of fun for a kid with a big imagination. I also heard the occasional ham operator, but they usually sounded funny as the radio only received in AM and most hams were using SSB (as I later learned) by the time I came along. The other big factor was being taught by my grandfather to never be afraid to try working on something or taking something that's broken apart to at least try and figure it out. I started to think being able to actually talk on a radio would be cool and by the time I was in high school the bug had me. After a little studying I passed novice and technician on the same day.

K8VSY likes this.